5 Star Tuner FAQ – My results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RottenKid

Reaction score
I'm no math giant but isn't that 72 miles/ 13 mpg = 5.5 gallons x ~ $3.70 = ~ $20.50/tank? That works out to about $60/month for me, or more since the cost of Regular around here is right around $4.00/gal.

Feel free to set me straight. Wife does it all day long.

p3rs1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to order the X3 tuner but I have one more question, if I run into a problem in which I need to take it into the dealer for service, am I able to revert back to stock settings in addition to the 3 custom tunes?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm about to order the X3 tuner but I have one more question, if I run into a problem in which I need to take it into the dealer for service, am I able to revert back to stock settings in addition to the 3 custom tunes?

It is not a easy as just switching out the tune.. My suggestion is to revert back to stock then complete at least 3 drive cycles.

Drive cycle:
The recommended OBD II drive cycle begins with a cold start (with coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another).

NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

- As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in D for two and a half minutes with the A/C and front and rear window defrost on.

OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.

- Turn the A/C and front/rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle.

OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.

- Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes.

OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.

- Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking.

OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.

- Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at ¾ throttle.

OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.

- Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes.

OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.

- Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking.

OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.

- Test complete

-Greg

KBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
91 octane performance tune gets me 16.8 at 73mph. in the 13's around town. Just too much fun standing on it to do any better. I noticed a 2mpg gain with the K&N CAI around town before the tune. It uses a little more gas with the tune but it is much more responsive and fun to drive. Still running the stock exhaust with a QTP cutout. I would guess headers and dual exhaust would help the performance as well.

mouldman1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so obviously, we are not changing the stock tune for the mpg gains. 2mpg gains on a 36gl tank. 72 miles per fill up at best. That is a car fart.

Screw it, I will drive the hell out of it and take my 12mpgs and love it.

The 5star tune is great for me. I run the 93 performance and love it.

I also love my Airaid Intake and Magnaflow catback.

Im with you fred...2mpg WHATEVER!!!! If i was so concerned about gas i would be driving a prius!

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rated SVT, no cat-back.

Wheela, I live at +4,000 ft. elevation and all this driving was at elevations at or above 4,000 ft. I don't know why but will all my vehicles I have always had better gas milage at higher elevations than when I drive at lower elevations. When I go up into the mountains at 8,000 to 9,000 ft. I am always amazed that my mgp will sometimes go up 2 mpg.

All of these gas milage calculations are from multiple tanks of fuel and calculated results, I did not use the "instant mpg" from the display as that is never quite correct. I had one tank this summer up in Wyoming where I was on small roads which had a speed limit of 55 and the roads were very flat. I drove for quite a few days on these roads doing some fishing driving between 55 and 60 mph. That ONE tank, I got 19.9 mpg, I threw those results out of the equasion as it was such different driving conditions.

That is so true! Having lived most of my life at elevation I've found the exact same thing whether it be a truck or a car. I once got 73 mpg on a tank of gas with my old 91 Ford Festiva around Wyoming. Haha!