5 Star Intake vs Airaid vs afe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RapaTon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2012 on order and I'm starting to accumulate the mods I'm going to install. What's the advantage of the 5 star intake over the airaid or afe?

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the AIRAID and couldn't be happier with the noise and performance.

BDRAG has one for sale on here for a steal! Grab it!

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. $200 for a practically brand new intake. Many people have said good things about Airaid. And if i had money to right now I would take it but cash I tight.

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone have any empirical evidence of the differences?
Even so little as comparative filter surface area or material differential air flow characteristics?

Maybe tube material (from a heat soak perspective)?

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone have any empirical evidence of the differences?
Even so little as comparative filter surface area or material differential air flow characteristics?

Maybe tube material (from a heat soak perspective)?

If you're talking empirical about observation, my ass says it's faster. If you're meaning empirical about experimentation, my ass says its faster. If you're looking for proven technical data from a chassis dyno -- look in the November issue of Truckin' Magazine and read the article on my truck.

Or just believe that it gives real world numbers when accompanied by a tune. because it does.

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you're talking empirical about observation, my ass says it's faster. If you're meaning empirical about experimentation, my ass says its faster. If you're looking for proven technical data from a chassis dyno -- look in the November issue of Truckin' Magazine and read the article on my truck.

Or just believe that it gives real world numbers when accompanied by a tune. because it does.

Thanks for the comments.
I will say, from what intakes that I see that are available, the Air Raid appears to have the greatest surface area.

Has anyone tried to measure the filter surface area of the various intakes available?

AVALANCHE

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not talking up or down on air filter upgrades but any of them is kinda a no brainer. They all work reasonably the same, I cant believe that hp wise there would be a bit of difference with any of them myself performance wise.

I put the combo airfilter/tuner from 5 star on mine. You kill two birds with one stone and the tuner will come prefit to run with the airfilter. IMO.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally would stay away from k&n. From my experience they achieve air flow thru larger openings in there material instead of larger surface area.

SaintsFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how much benefit, if any, there is to running an aftermarket intake kit (Airaid) with just the original factory tune? I'm not sure if I want to get into changing the factory tuning, although I realize the intake/5 Star combo is the ideal setup. Also, do the 5 Star Tunes void Ford's warranty in any way? Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how much benefit, if any, there is to running an aftermarket intake kit (Airaid) with just the original factory tune? I'm not sure if I want to get into changing the factory tuning, although I realize the intake/5 Star combo is the ideal setup. Also, do the 5 Star Tunes void Ford's warranty in any way? Any insight would be appreciated.

Background: My work includes knowledge of statistical tools for SIx Sigma Projects. I had taught basic statistics for about two years to many in our work force of 2,200 employees.

Please forgive that this information is obtained from a non-Ford product. Please note that this non-Ford car will be traded for my Raptor when it arrives at the dealership.

Upon receipt of my 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (345 cu.in. Hemi), I began monitoring my gas mileage via actual tracking the miles run per fillup and the gallons purchased. I only used 93 octane. I used 10 fillups for my baseline. Though I don't have the data sheet within my reach at this time, the average mileage was around 19 mpg for combination city and highway conditions.

After getting a baseline, I purchased a CAI made by RotoFab and installed it in place of the stock intake. The RotoFab filter is a conical filter much like the ones mentioned in this thread. After repeated tests, ten more fillups, I noticed that I was averaging about 20 mpg. A statistical difference was shown via a 2-Sample t Test. (I can post the test results at a later date, if desired)

I did not have an aftermarket tune applied, I was running the stock tune.

Did I notice a performance improvement? Not that I could feel, apart from the sweet sucking sound at WOT.

IMO, the reduction in pressure drop across the intake added in improved efficiency. I do believe that a tune would have taken advantage of the pressure drop reduction to generate more power, whereas without the tune there is only an economical improvement.

Regrets: I wish that I had dyno'd the car before and after. And ideally, these tests should be done for a full year to account for the difference between the winter and summer blends of gas (BTU/gal).

BTW, I plan to do the same test with my Raptor when it arrives, but with my Raptor I do plan on adding the 5 Star tune after completing the economical test (20 fillups: 10 before and 10 after intake installation)