When to replace rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flynford

Reaction score
I measured brand new front rotors and they measured out approximately 34.5mm; so, that leaves about 2.5mm margin for wear.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the stock ones at 60k. The fronts looked rough but the rears weren't too bad. I wanted to do a wholesale swap (rotors, pads, lines, fluid etc) all at once and it feels like a new truck.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor. don't buy into the hype.

autozone duralast gold pads. lifetime warranty. can be traded in for any reason for free.

grab yourself some pads only. drive the **** out of them.

down the line trade them in for some new pads.

repeat cycle until truck is sold.

if you don't have a vibration in the wheel or pedal when braking or are obviously cracked, you don't need new rotors

just did a front pad change last weekend at 33k miles. still had half the life left in them.
easy as cake and only cost me like 65 bucks to do.
what can I say I was bored.

no more squeal on some of the slow stops

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

autozone duralast gold pads. lifetime warranty. can be traded in for any reason for free.

if you don't have a vibration in the wheel or pedal when braking or are obviously cracked, you don't need new rotors

just did a front pad change last weekend at 33k miles. still had half the life left in them.

I've been doing this on my 08 Wrangler since 2010. I do brakes every summer and Bosch has a 3 year anything goes warranty also. New pads and rotors for free every year and have to pay for rotors every 3. Love having fresh new brakes. I have a MityVAC also so I can replace the fluid and keep them really fresh.

Rocsteady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless calipers are failing, no reason to replace. I was a service writer for 14 years and I think I saw two actual failed brake calipers the entire time. Used to really point out how dishonest some of the shops like STS were when they had hundreds of calipers in stock for the most popular vehicles on the road in any given area. We'd have people turn down a pad change and rotor resurface and come back after STS told them they needed new pads, rotors, calipers, lines, etc. Suddenly the $300 or so we said the car actually needed looked pretty good next to the thousand plus that these rip off places were pushing. Don't get me wrong, lots of dealerships are the same but I couldn't work that way.
Haven't seen one in a while but it used to make me want to vomit when I saw "It's a trust thing" on the STS advertisements. What a crooked outfit...

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is terrible advice. Duralast Pads have nowhere near the same co-efficient of friction as the factory pads, nor do they perform as well under stress and high heat situations. At best, longer stopping distances and worse pedal feel. At worst, failure under repetitive, heavy use.

Why do you think you can get free replacements for AutoZone and the factory pads are an arm and a leg. You get what you pay for.