Wheel weights knocked off after new rotors/pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Extremely weird problem. I have stock 2012 wheels. I just installed new slotted/dimpled rotors plus new pads - seemed easy enough. I went out to break them in, run a few errands, etc. The next day I noticed a bunch of wheel weights in my driveway and in the street. After an inspection I discovered that ALL of my wheels weights had been sheared off by the caliper (I assume). All of the weights had little nicks in them - just BARELY, and this is only the driver side. Doesn't make sense, but I figure maybe the new rotors/pads reduced the clearance just enough and maybe the stock weights were a little too far in. So they hit. Strange, but OK. I go down to the tire shop, tell them my problem, and get the front tires rebalanced. I get home (1 mile drive). After I park, I notice something under the truck. Sure enough, more wheel weights - the new type the tire shop used. However it didn't get all of them, just a few (and I see some nicks on some of the remaining ones as well as some that are fine). I also notice a fresh shiny mark all around the inside of the wheel. It doesn't look like anything can actually contact the wheel, so maybe it was a weight that just kinda got lodged a bit after it got hit? It doesn't look serious, just a shiny scuff all the way around really. I'm pretty perplexed though. I've read a couple similar, but not identical issues with after market wheels. I also find it extremely odd that all of the wheel weights I've noticed were shed in my driveway as opposed to randomly driving around. Any ideas what is going on here? :emotions133:

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What wheels are you running as well. I've had folks that after installing new brake parts have seen some scrubbing of their Methods. Just curious whether you have Methods or something else.

Edit: brain fart on the stock wheels.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The caliper mounts in one spot. It cannot moved diametrically inside the wheel.'only laterally a 1/8" or so for a rotor being out of round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What brand pads and rotors?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

They are the dimpled and slotted rotors from here - Premium Dimpled and Slotted Brake Rotors

I decided to give them a shot due to a recommendation from a friend who has run multiple sets and gave them excellent reviews.

To be clear, I've only done the front set and I'm only having this problem with the front driver side. I replaced the rotors since one of my oems was slightly warped and I could feel it - especially braking while towing downhill.

I'm heading outside right now to see if I can figure this out. It really makes no sense. It's not like you can put the thing back together wrong and I'm confident the bolts are tight (but I'm going to check again).

Last edited:

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd check my installation!
The caliper sticks out the furthest; if there was a problem with the disk it would not turn with the caliper installed.