What Oil/Filter do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Chris@FreedomMotorsports

I've noticed that Ford has started specifying 5w-30 for the 6.2l Super Duty engines as of the 2016 model year with no major engine changes that I'm aware of. Anyone have any insight into why this change was made and why they don't backspec the 5w-30 for the pre-2016 vehicles with the 6.2l? I wonder if they were seeing premature or higher wear in certain duty cycles with the slightly thinner 5w-20 that was previously recommended for the 6.2l?

I haven't seen anything abnormal in my oil analysis, but I wonder if it's prudent to jump to 5w-30 at some point?

In short, not the same engine. There have been design changes made in the new engines and the fact that they are tuned differently for different overall purposes. No need to change what you are already doing.

Hedges4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil 1 Full Syn 5w-20. Running twin turbo system, no issues.

Race oil, which many installers tried to install is ridiculous and unneccessary unless your destroying your truck.