Uniball Maintenance with lube

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

I am sure this has been asked before and I did a little searching. I have Rogue UCA's and was talking to a vendor at TRR about something completely different but we started talking about UCA's. I was told that these aftermarket uniball should not be lubed. I did purchase this lube from Tri-Flow months ago and have used it on a different set of UCA's:

Tri-Flow Heim & Uniball Lube

But since it's not dry, it can collect dust and bring that dirt down inside the uniball even though Camburg recommends this lube.

So I decided to look for a dry lube instead. I found Tri-Flow has this one but dries to a waxy film and since it's so thick, not sure how well its penetrates.
Tri-Flow Superior Dry Lubricant :: Dry Lubricants :: Tri-Flow®

Then these:
Finish Line - Bicycle Lubricants and Care Products - DRY Lube with Teflon® fluoropolymer
http://amzn.com/B00BCVXUR6

I've heard others just using WD-40 but everything I've been researching shows that's not a good idea and goes along with what the TRR vendor was saying. Of course having the uniball with a cover would be the most ideal but don't have that.

So is there anything out there that is better than what I already found that won't harm the uniball over time? Or is it really best to just leave them alone other than cleaning the top of them off and not use any type of lube?

On a side note, I hear squeaking when I turn and would like to eliminate it, if possible.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use the DuPont Teflon dry film lube and have for about 3 years now with about 70K miles and have had zero issues just make sure you clean then really well before applying it. I apply it once a month at least to keep it nice and smooth and more often when I'm going off road. I'll usually apply it in the morning before driving to work so it'll settle in without any dirt or water getting on it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 204

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you live were its cold and freezes (southwest MO included) and they use salt, be prepaired to replace them after every winter, no amount of lube or even the boots do anything to protect them from the freeze and killing the teflon liners.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

I use the DuPont Teflon dry film lube and have for about 3 years now with about 70K miles and have had zero issues just make sure you clean then really well before applying it. I apply it once a month at least to keep it nice and smooth and more often when I'm going off road. I'll usually apply it in the morning before driving to work so it'll settle in without any dirt or water getting on it

I ended up getting this one and just came in today. I was surprised that it is a liquid. Thought is was a dry lube like graphite or something. Is this stuff right?

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea that's the right stuff it's a liquid form so it soaks in and spreads out but once it dries it dries into a dry film and works pretty great but like hick said that road salt and harsh winters can destroy bearings and all that even wit lube.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Yea that's the right stuff it's a liquid form so it soaks in and spreads out but once it dries it dries into a dry film and works pretty great but like hick said that road salt and harsh winters can destroy bearings and all that even wit lube.

LOL, the bottle states, "100% Dry to the Touch". So I put some on my finger to test it out, THEN I read the back about all the danger warnings and NOT to get on the skin.
Well shit..... :specialed: