The typical oil question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
#1 change your oil as often as you can and as much as your budget allows. With that said, I use Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance depending on pricing. I think that if Mobil 1 is good enough for Mercedes then it is good enough for me. And it costs about $26 for 10 qts of Mobil 1 Extended Performance and ~$4 for the Motorcraft FL-820S filter. I only spend about $22 per oil change at ~7000 miles.

Where are you buying 10 qts of Mobil 1 for $26.00? That's a great price!

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where are you buying 10 qts of Mobil 1 for $26.00? That's a great price!

I realize now that's a little misleading. I should have said after rebate. Mobil 1 constantly has a rebate going around for $12 back on a 5 qt jug (limit 2) and I get the oil at Walmart even though it's not specifically stated as one of the participating retailers. It's worked for me every time for the past couple years

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2013 Raptor last month. I absolutely love it!

One question, my oil life reset is set at 100%. Would some one please explain what that means?

I would like to set it up (if possible) for the oil change light to come on when the oil is at 10% life. Do I just simply check the "10%" in the oil reset menu to achieve this?

Thanks

David

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

I just purchased a 2013 Raptor and have a question. My oil reset is set at 100% currently.

If I want the oil light indicator to come on when 10% oil life is remaining, do I just simply select the "10%" box in the menu to achieve this?

Thanks

David

muddawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto on Mobile 1, used it in everything I've raced and owned for street.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run Walmart's Supertech house brand full synthetic. 5 quarts for $17.50, you can't beat that.

You will not run into oiling issues with a 6.2L Ford engine not matter what you oil you use, assuming you change it often enough and it's got the API donut and the certification starburst on the bottle. If you go the full 7500 miles per the manual, I'd run full synthetic for sure. There's no need to spend top dollar for Amsoil stuff though, this engine just doesn't stress the oil.

Believe it or not, Fram has a filter on the market you guys may want to try. Fram XG2. Great filter for a good price. I still run the old 820S though, since I have a filter wrench that fits the small ridges/grooves of the 820S perfectly.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Walmart's Supertech house brand full synthetic. 5 quarts for $17.50, you can't beat that.

You will not run into oiling issues with a 6.2L Ford engine not matter what you oil you use, assuming you change it often enough and it's got the API donut and the certification starburst on the bottle. If you go the full 7500 miles per the manual, I'd run full synthetic for sure. There's no need to spend top dollar for Amsoil stuff though, this engine just doesn't stress the oil.

Believe it or not, Fram has a filter on the market you guys may want to try. Fram XG2. Great filter for a good price. I still run the old 820S though, since I have a filter wrench that fits the small ridges/grooves of the 820S perfectly.

I've heard this from a couple of mechanic friends. Oil now days aren't like they were back in the day. All brands are made from the same couple of companies with different labeling. The biggest problem they have seen is people don't change their oil at the recommended interval. I've always remained old school and changed every 3000 miles.

Good to know on that filter. That's one item I've always felt is a personal preference, but I still research what people use. All oils might be the same, but there are differences in filters. And that is one item that does effect the longevity of our engines.