The typical oil question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Considering a lot of you are going full instead of semi synthetic I made a decision. I also did the math and think I'm going to make the switch to mobile 1 full synthetic. Looking at my local Walmart it's going to cost me an extra 5 dollars for each gallon of oil.
This feels like cheap insurance and piece of mind.
Appreciating the input!

It's 5 quarts instead of a gallon. Plus the Extended Mobil 1 can be had for almost the same.
If you happen to get a chance to pickup and feel the weight difference between the two oil filters, you would go Extended.
3x the filtering capacity than a standard filter.
The Ford Racing Oil filter is the same weight as Mobil1 Extended.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, that Ford blend stuff has so many additives it's suppose to be good for 7,500 to 10,000 miles depending on driving conditions. LOL. I no longer trust that.

I'll stick to 5,000 with the good stuff. Worked for me for many years.

Last edited:

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents worth...

My wife once owned a Volvo, which required the oil to be changed every 2,000 miles. Many believe the longevity of the Volvo's engine is due to the frequency of oil changes, which makes sense.

Non-synthetic oil breaks down after prolonged use, so if you plan to go beyond the recommended oil change frequency, synthetic would be the way to go. I gave my Honda Civic Hybrid to my daughter and it has over 270K miles. Knowing she will forget to change the oil, I use Mobile 1 synthetic and the best filter (15K miles). It's comforting to know the oil is OK going beyond recommended.

On my Raptor, I take it to the dealer and get the synthetic-blend as it is still under warranty. I just had the oil changed, and I think it was $39. I will be making the switch to synthetic in the future however.

The bottom line is probably the frequency you change your oil. Other than that, it doesn't much matter. Just pick one or the other and stick with it and stock up when there are sales.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
#1 change your oil as often as you can and as much as your budget allows. With that said, I use Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance depending on pricing. I think that if Mobil 1 is good enough for Mercedes then it is good enough for me. And it costs about $26 for 10 qts of Mobil 1 Extended Performance and ~$4 for the Motorcraft FL-820S filter. I only spend about $22 per oil change at ~7000 miles.