The typical oil question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ftroop

Reaction score
I'm sure the issue of oil type has be beaten to death, but here I am bringing it up. I am running 5w20 motorcraft oil and filter (since new), but considering the jump to mobile 1 full synthetic. I just did my oil and that's what got me thinking about it. What do you guys think? My next oil change will be at about 40k, wondering if at that point it might be better to leave the oil as is, especially considering I hear the motorcraft oil isn't that bad. I have no problem spending the extra couple bucks, but just trying to decide whether The truck is really going to benefit. I do plan on taking this truck til my grave or the next tenish years. Whichever is first...

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you plan on being dead by 40 , you have bigger things to worry about than the oil in your raptor! Regardless, I changed to synthetic just for shit and giggles.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I truly think it is a personal preference thing. I know guys that have ran a long time with Motorcraft oils. One thing about it, they could never blame you for using the wrong oil in the event of a powertrain issue. That being said, I switched to Mobil 1 but still use a Motocraft filter as the filters tested pretty well. Mine's not a race truck, so I feel the Ford filter is a good fit. I use Mobil 1 because I can walk across the street and get it at a great price whenever I need it. I keep a few of the Ford filters on hand so I don't have to drive far to get them.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a little FYI, my daughter's 2013 Escape 2.0 EcoBoost Titanium just completed her third Motorcraft oil Blend change at the dealer with 19,000 miles on it.
Their telling me the oil looks thick and dirty, and wanted to run a oil flush. REALLY!!!!

I told them I will change to Mobil 1 Extended in 3,000 miles instead of waited for the car to tell to change.
Works for my 700+ HP Raptor!
The Extended Mobil 1 is designed specifically for Turbos and Superchargers. And with longer oil change intervals!

Mobil 1 Extended 5W-20 can be found on sale at major auto parts centers when you purchase the Mobil 1 Extended Oil Filter.
Cheaper than the dealer!

Last edited:

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I switched to Motorcraft full synthetic 5w-20 in my Raptor at 10k miles, now approaching 30k and all is well. This is the first time in my life that I have used a full synthetic oil, prior to this I had been using the Motorcraft synthetic blend for about 15 years without any issues at all. I also use the Motorcraft oil filter and do the oil changes myself to insure they are done properly. A dealership that hires high school dropouts to do oil changes cannot be trusted to get the job done in a professional manner.

OP
OP
Ftroop

Ftroop

Reaction score
Considering a lot of you are going full instead of semi synthetic I made a decision. I also did the math and think I'm going to make the switch to mobile 1 full synthetic. Looking at my local Walmart it's going to cost me an extra 5 dollars for each gallon of oil.
This feels like cheap insurance and piece of mind.
Appreciating the input!