Transmission smoother after fluid exchange?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, tranny fluid swaps suck to do your self, and there is a filter.... you can get one, but usually only by order........

I had the filter and fluid replaced last time I had trans work done..... LOL

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm astounded. I've done transmission services on GM products without difficulty. By that I don't mean a flush, I mean draining, replacing the filter, and refilling. Yes, yes, I know that you can't get all of the fluid out by simply dropping the pan, but it's still an effective service procedure.

I'd love to know how this is different if someone would please explain it to me. I don't want to get in over my head, you know?

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can do that Ruger, but because the dipstick for the trans is not accessible in the engine bay, you need a hand pump to fill the trans. It is a major pain in the arse.

You can pull the pan, and get a replacement filter and gasket, no problem. There are a couple bolts to the front or rear of the pan that are a pain to get out. I don't remember which. The worst part is filling the pan with fluid through the little dipstick on the top of the pan. Drivers side IIRC

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did my 30000 mile service, and besides an oil change and tire rotation, I also ordered the transmission fluid exchange. It was not necessary and I was not having issues, so I did it just because.

Now my transmission seems to be shifting smoother.

Is this a placebo effect? Is this even possible?

Yep most likely. Or perhaps there was a computer upgrade the dealer did.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
MTUH3, I presume you've done the service yourself? Do you recall how many quarts it took to refill the transmission? What does IIRC mean, please?

Mad Max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is a transmission service something that we should be encouraged to do on newer vehicles? Seems the old school of thought about automatic or manual transmissions, was to just drive them. I've had several Ford vehicles (80's and 90's models) accumulate 100-200k that never had any transmission service done.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whoa, Max, I don't think that was ever the case. I learned service a transmission by watching a professional mechanic do one on my 1970 Old Delta 88. His recommendation was 30K mile intervals.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed with ruger!

I just has to replace the 68rfe in my cummins a few weeks ago. I never would have made it to 180k without regular servicing.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The book says 100K. My service advisor says every 30K. I'm going with every 30K. Makes me feel good.

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm bumping up against 50K and I am dead level certain that I'm overdue. The owner's manual maintenance intervals are for idiots.

Last edited: