Transmission help please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorDDS

Reaction score
I took in my 2011 Raptor to the dealer wednesday complaining of hard shift from 1-2nd. After waiting for parts, they replaced the selonoids and thought all was happy. On my way home this evening, it ran fine till slowing down speed on the road close to home. It felt like it was slipping out of gear and hunting around for gears around 4-5th gear. Pulled in the garage expecting to see a puddle of transmission fluid, but all looks good. Found the dipstick for the trans, removed it while the engine was off and there was fluid but it smelled acidic. Drove it again around the hood and shifted gears manually and 1-3 had no problems, but all hell broke loose when hit 4-5. Any ideas????

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a bad control assembly and it was slipping really bad from 2-3 and 4-5. So bad it burnt up those clutches and they had to be replaced.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
They may not have reset the transmission shift strategy when they replaced the sole kids or replaced the wrong solenoid is what it sounds like to me. Just a guess the three seniors they replace are normally high and if they put a high solenoid in low solenoid spot that will cause a mess of issues. Like I said just thoughts but without a book I can't remember what the shift solenoid is that controls 4-5.

OP
OP
RaptorDDS

RaptorDDS

Reaction score
The word from the dealer is they damaged another part in the transmission when fixing it. They said the part in question is on recall on other trucks but not in the Raptor. Not sure if this is BS or not. Hope to get a more detailed explanation tomorrow when I pick it up. Then will pull my boat Wednesday to the trailer dealer and have the bearings repacked before we head to MO for the 4th. Keeping the fingers crossed!!

jdowens1

Reaction score
Really recall on transmission part doesn't ring a bell but anything is possible. Did they say what the name of the part is?

Spider-One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I brought my 2012 in last week for torn steering rack/tie rod boot and they performed a recall inspection on the transmission. I believe all they did was check the part number on a sensor. Just got the notice yesterday.

jdowens1

Reaction score
Recall 12C23 inspection of transmission lead frame and transmission lead frame for inspection is the recall. It's on certain 11-13 F-150, expiditions, navigator, and mustangs.

OP
OP
RaptorDDS

RaptorDDS

Reaction score
Picked her up this evening and all seems to be running fine. Picked up my boat and hauled that around for a while and no problems either. The paperwork says this: "since repair transmission has no 4th or 5th gear--towed in molded lead frame road test cold shifts fine. hot 5th and 6th do not work. EEC test P0751. Check fluid level ok. R&R valvebody looks ok. R&R molded lead frame. refill. road test ok. EEC test P1000" Not sure what the test are but doesn't sound like they actually fixed anything. I still wonder if it really didn't have enough fluid. Other notes referenced two TSB's from 11-11-11 and 12-02-12.

jdowens1

Reaction score
So the lead frame probably broke when they were attempting to fix it. The leAd frame is what connects your solenoids together it's molded plastic that runs the wires and thy are pretty easy to break.

OP
OP
RaptorDDS

RaptorDDS

Reaction score
So the lead frame probably broke when they were attempting to fix it. The leAd frame is what connects your solenoids together it's molded plastic that runs the wires and thy are pretty easy to break.

Thanks for the help. That would make sense then!