Transfer Case Fluid Change (Maintenance)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
20,000 and first one.
I do go over 120+ with 4x4 on which really should be ok.

The 17 is all wheel drive so the transfer case is always on

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks....Guess I'll take the other one down...69/79 bucks plus met a cool service guy that loves the Raptor and just wanted to talk trucks.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE: I do not recommend that anyone order from Dimple Products until you can get them on the phone and verify conclusively that they're still in business. I ordered a magnetic drain plug on September 4, 2023, they billed my credit card on the same day, and as of September 29 I have not received an acknowledgment of my order, a tracking number, or the product that I ordered.

To date I have attempted to contact them numerous times:
- Phone: They don't answer the phone and their voice mailbox is full, so I've texted them on September 25 and 29.
- Their website has the means to send them a message, and I have done so on September 18 and 29.
- I have sent messages to their email address on September 20, 27, and 29.
NOTHING. No response or acknowledgement at all.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^ On Monday I am going to contact PayPal and see what they can do. Failing that, I will necessarily resort to filing a complaint with the South Carolina Attorney General. The fact that their voice mailbox is full tells me that I am not alone in this.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have filed a dispute with PayPal on this matter. After multiple attempts to resolve the matter via text, email, and their website and the elapse of a 30-day business cycle, I had no choice.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fimages%2Fpaypal-rebranding%2Fpp-logo-in-circle-2x.png
"Case closed in your favor
We reviewed the case you filed on October 2, 2023 and have decided in your favor.
We've issued a refund of $47.42 USD to you on October 6, 2023. It may take up to 5 days for this refund to be reflected on your PayPal account or bank. If you paid using a credit or debit card, the money will be refunded to your card. Depending on your card issuer, it can take up to 30 days for the refund to appear on your card statement."

This should be a warning to anyone considering ordering a magnetic drain plug from Dimple Products, LLC.
Here is an alternative for magnetic drain plugs: votex-us.com

Last edited:

BalanBro

Reaction score
So I'm planning to service my TC soon. When looking online, it seems that the original XL-12 Transfer Case Fluid was discontinued, and now they are recommending Mercon LV. I distinctly recall in the past that everyone said NOT to use Mercon ATF fluid in the transfer case. Does anyone know what changed? Is it simply that Ford doesn't want to source the TC fluid anymore and just decided Mercon LV is good enough?

I'm thinking it may be wiser to just go with a non-Motorcraft fluid that is specific for TC applications.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The change to Mercon LV occurred several years ago, and you can't get Ford's proprietary transfer case fluid (for which they never printed the specifications) at a Ford dealership parts counter. I am thinking that @FordTechOne probably has the low-down on this.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The change to Mercon LV occurred several years ago, and you can't get Ford's proprietary transfer case fluid (for which they never printed the specifications) at a Ford dealership parts counter. I am thinking that @FordTechOne probably has the low-down on this.
Mercon LV replaced Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid for part-time transfer cases. It was always the spec for the Torque On-Demand full time 4WD transfer cases.

BalanBro

Reaction score
Thanks all. I just replaced mine with Mercon LV. Since the trans, power steering and TC currently all specify Mercon LV, I figured it's more cost effective to just buy a bunch of 5 quart jugs. and keep then on hand. Beats having to purchase and store 3 different fluids.