Transfer Case Fluid Change (Maintenance)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought I saw a thread about this?

Well anyway, I just did mine today start to finish 40 minutes.
I purchased everything on Amazon for $48.45 free shipping
I don't know what Ford uses on the threads but it sure looks like plumbers putty. LOL
I cleaned the threads with a stainless steel brush since it's all aluminum. You don't want to contaminate it with iron.
I used Teflon Tape and paid attention not over tighten the plugs. You can probably screw them all the way through,
so take a note were they are when you take them out.

Note: I should have bought three quarts so in the next 15,000 to 20,000, I have enough to do it again.
It took a 1 1/4 quarts and a 1/4 for a flush out.
I also sucked out the transfer case using the pump in the bottom hole, not much was left but I'm just that way.

I'm surprised to see and smell how burnt the fluid was, I have 20,000 miles on her and own the truck for 4 1/2 years now.
I don't do any off-roading but did have to use my 4x4 a lot this pass winter because my tires just about had it.
Also having the Whipple, I do all my serious launch's in 4x4 Hi with the rear diff locked when playing.

IMG_20150528_102852_759.jpg

Before flush
IMG_20150528_111143_232.jpg

Bad picture sorry, but I wanted to show the difference in color between old and new fluid.
IMG_20150528_111221_064.jpg

Next, Front Diff!

Last edited:

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a drain plug in the transfer case? Or did you have to suck it out via the full hole?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got just under 75,000 miles on my 2011 and I've done the transfer case and rear differential twice. Still have the front differential to do before the really cold weather sets in. Of the three, the transfer case is by far the easiest. The differentials don't have drain plugs and you need a fluid pump to change the fluids in them.

Recommended: Replace the drain plug in the transfer case and the fill plugs in the differentials with Dimple magnetic plugs. The magnets are super strong and serve as an open filter to capture metal particles and get them out of the lubricant.

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What plug do you recommend? Do you have a link?

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

XL-12. Correct?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking at the site, they have 2 listings for Ford. Which one exactly?

Which one for what - the crankcase, the transfer case, the rear differential, the front differential? I suggest you talk to the company. They have a real useful plastic device that eliminates all doubt, but of course you have to have the factory plug out of the whatever-you're-working-on to use it.

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which one for what - the crankcase, the transfer case, the rear differential, the front differential? I suggest you talk to the company. They have a real useful plastic device that eliminates all doubt, but of course you have to have the factory plug out of the whatever-you're-working-on to use it.

Transfer case.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting - just yesterday I had this done in my 17, it only has 4,800 miles.
The quick lube place noticed it, so next chance I went straight to the Ford dealer. Ford tech said it looked like it had 50,000 miles on it, even brought out the two samples of new and old fluid. The 4,800 stuff was really browned. They asked me about 4x4, told them so far only used it once for like 60 feet, towing - some but only light stuff and then how heavy I am on the gas - not like I've been roasting tires, but I do like to get on it, nothing crazy. They had the shop supervisor come over and check it as well, they all agreed it should not have looked like that so they changed it and also did a forced flush. Cool part was they did it a no charge. I was willing to pay, wanted to make sure it was documented, which they said they still did, but at <5K it shouldn't look like it did.
Whole reason I had diff and tc fluids checked was went into the water further than planned getting the boat off the trailer.

Guess I should take the 14 down and get it checked...it only has 16K

MTF - was was your mileage? Also this was your first change right?