"Total" Transmission fluid change without Flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumart1

Reaction score
Purchased my 2010 Scab with 90k miles, Dealer maintained and no record of any tranny service. I'd like to skip the power flush. I picked up a factory tranny filter and gasket, plan to drop the pan and change the fluid myself.

Has anyone tried to do their own flush by removing the trans cooler return line? I saw a video on Youtube in which, by adding fluid continuously, all the fluid is replace, even through the torque converter.

Otherwise, how long will I need to drive it to repeat the process until it's all changed? Will I need to drop the pan and replace the gasket each time?

Is it better to change the filter on the first fluid change or the last?

Finally, any preference between Amsoil and Motorcraft LV fluids?

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion at that mileage you should just leave it well alone. I'd put a small sum of money on trans failure shortly after first fluid change at that mileage.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
I changed my trans fluid at 10k.... Will do again at 25k and 50k, 75k, 100k.

Some think that may be excessive, but that aint nothing compared to our buggys trans. We change fluid after every weekend outing, in which we put maybe 1000k miles on it. Also twice the power, and new trans costs 25k so its cheap in comparison to do proper maintenance.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I changed my trans fluid at 10k.... Will do again at 25k and 50k, 75k, 100k.

Some think that may be excessive, but that aint nothing compared to our buggys trans. We change fluid after every weekend outing, in which we put maybe 1000k miles on it. Also twice the power, and new trans costs 25k so its cheap in comparison to do proper maintenance.

You do a million miles in a weekend? Thats a lot of miles!

Sgt Fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From Gramercy Louisiana live in Biloxi Mississippi
its easy but you will need 10 quarts of Motorcraft mercon lb. watch FordTechMakuloco videos on you tube he has great videos on the process. the gasket is reusable. when you drop the pan and pull the filter it will drain out all the fluid except the fluid in the torque converter. to drain the converter you would have to pull the transmission.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I've heard from a couple mechanics is to take it easy after you change the tranny fluid for a couple hundred miles. Something about the clean fluid being more slippery. They also don't reccomend doing full flushes but 2 in something like a 10k period if you have some really old fluid in there.

OP
OP
G

Gumart1

Reaction score
Dkfc13 what is the bulk head connector and why should it be changed? Where can I get the part? I don't have any leaks.

OK I'll change out about 4 qts. with new filter and drive for at least 5k miles before the next change. I agree about preventative maintenance. If it were mine since new I'd be changing the fluid every 30k or sooner.

I don't feel that the shifting is smooth right now. I get a hard shift from 1-2 up and down, especially when the engine is cold. I read about updating or resetting the PCM. Is this possible without the help of a Dealer? I wonder if my driving style being different from the last owner might be the reason.