Time for regular maintenance? Oil change/Tire rotation/Multi-point Inspect... Ask for "The Works"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This might be old news, but it was news to me so I figured I'd pass it on.

I've gotten friendly with the service manager at my local dealership (always a good idea, by the way). I went in today for my "10,000 mile service"... he pulled me off to the side and said I don't want that. I want "The Works".

What's the difference? Nothing but the paperwork and price; "The Works" is $39.99 with a $10 rebate and the "XX,000 mile service" STARTS at $79.99. Note that both services include 5 qts of oil; we need 7 so plan on spending $6 extra bucks in either case.

As for the paperwork, you get the regular service receipt with The Works. With the XX,000 mile service you also get a "Multi-Point Inspection Report Card". But again in both cases all the same stuff is checked. Is that report card worth $50 to ya?

Cool deal!

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeppers. "The Works" gets you an oil change, a tire rotation, and a multi-point inspection any time you ask for it (you don't have to be at any preset mileage or anything like that). Compare that to the recommended scheduled maintenance guide, and I think you'll find that these services are interchangeable, with the exception of the air filter (something we should all be checking ourselves, often anyway) and right up until 60k miles (when the tranny fluid and filter needs to be changed). All the stuff the SMG lists is stuff they "eyeball every time you come in for service, anyway".

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I had a free oil change on the books from my purchase and I asked my service guy about this....he said they do a multipoint everytime I have it in...for free!! I guess they figure if they do free multipoints they can generate enough revenue in additional work from the inspection to cover the labor. On the oil change the dealer put Motorcraft synthetic in....7 quarts. Total for the oil and filter change $70.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What oil are they using?

Cheap bulk or Motorcraft semi syn?
I was told they only use the semi syn. I can't confirm that though since I can't actually watch them pour it in. But they've been straight with me regarding everything else. I don't have a reason to doubt.

Mike McNellis

Ford Rep
Reaction score
Most Ford dealers exclusively use Motorcraft oil. There is semi synthetic and full synthetic option.

The Works is a great package. It is also available thru Quick Lanes.

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most Ford dealers exclusively use Motorcraft oil. There is semi synthetic and full synthetic option.

The Works is a great package. It is also available thru Quick Lanes.

What do you mean 'most'?

Are they trained to change oil? My first change was on them and I drove home with a big oil spill on the skid plate, they didnt clean it up or tell me about it. I smelt it burning on the way home. I was not pleased, and dont think I will be coming back to that dealer for service again. The oil filter is not in a very convenient place but I have never spilt a drop changing it!