Sway Bar End Links Replacement Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumart1

Reaction score
Anyone replace their sway bar links? I have a low speed crunch sound that I'm betting is the end links. Anybody post the procedure with/without pics? I'm a beginner when it comes to repairs, but this seems like a DIY job. I've searched the forum but no luck.

Is it just the two nuts on either end? I've seen some videos of other models where a tie rod puller is needed.

Looks like I can do this with the wheels on and the truck on the ground.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is just the two nuts and may be able to be completed while the truck is on the ground but will be much easier with the truck on a stand and a jack cycling the suspension.

OP
OP
G

Gumart1

Reaction score
For those of you who are not handy like me, this was an easy swap. I used an 18mm open ended wrench on the nut and an 8mm socket at the end of the stem to stop the entire assembly from spinning. 120k miles on my 2010 SCAB and the nuts came off easily with a quick spray of Liquid Wrench and a rubber hammer to get it started. No need to jack up the truck or the suspension. Once both nuts are off, the assembly slides out easily. There is no need to raise the truck or jack up the suspension. Just make sure to turn the steering wheel all the way to each side for easy access.

I am skeptical when it comes to claims of dramatic improvements, but changing these inexpensive links 100% fixed my low speed noise over bumps. Very rewarding fix.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For those of you who are not handy like me, this was an easy swap. I used an 18mm open ended wrench on the nut and an 8mm socket at the end of the stem to stop the entire assembly from spinning. 120k miles on my 2010 SCAB and the nuts came off easily with a quick spray of Liquid Wrench and a rubber hammer to get it started. No need to jack up the truck or the suspension. Once both nuts are off, the assembly slides out easily. There is no need to raise the truck or jack up the suspension. Just make sure to turn the steering wheel all the way to each side for easy access.

I am skeptical when it comes to claims of dramatic improvements, but changing these inexpensive links 100% fixed my low speed noise over bumps. Very rewarding fix.

What kind of sound are you having with this is it like a metallic popping clank over small to medium bumps when the suspension is being worked over?

I have a similar issue and think it is the end links but am not sure.

OP
OP
G

Gumart1

Reaction score
My noises were over small and medium bumps especially at low speeds but I did not have a metallic sound. More like a muffled creak or grinding sound. Do you do much off-roading? Perhaps your rubber bushings are torn and you are hearing metal hitting metal. I would probably start with your end links as it's a cheap and easy fix.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My noises were over small and medium bumps especially at low speeds but I did not have a metallic sound. More like a muffled creak or grinding sound. Do you do much off-roading? Perhaps your rubber bushings are torn and you are hearing metal hitting metal. I would probably start with your end links as it's a cheap and easy fix.

it is over small to medium sized bumps, at medium speeds, somehow I think it is the sway bar end links the rubber around the tops of them are cracked. I replaced the sway bar bushings and it helped some but it has to do with sharp bumps and the suspension starts getting a side to side work out. I do not feel it in the suspension or steering and it sounds if it is coming from underneath the truck which the sway bar is right behind the main front axle.