Sparkplug compatibliity 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetrocker

Reaction score
I bought my 6.2 engine 2010 Raptor used from a Ford dealer. They did some maintenance work on it to prep for sale and for some reason only changed 8 of the 16 plugs...the outside ones...probably because they were easier to get to. Anyway, I want to replace the other 8 (there's 102K on the clock) and I see that Ford dealer put in SP-526 plugs. I can't find it now but I believe this is not the part number that is called for in this engine. But perhaps it's compatible. Should I just buy 8 more SP-526 plugs? Thx, Mark

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought my 6.2 engine 2010 Raptor used from a Ford dealer. They did some maintenance work on it to prep for sale and for some reason only changed 8 of the 16 plugs...the outside ones...probably because they were easier to get to. Anyway, I want to replace the other 8 (there's 102K on the clock) and I see that Ford dealer put in SP-526 plugs. I can't find it now but I believe this is not the part number that is called for in this engine. But perhaps it's compatible. Should I just buy 8 more SP-526 plugs? Thx, Mark
Make the dealer change the other 8. That's b.s. that they didn't.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

summit your photo for the calendar contest
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?t=44744

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Make the dealer change the other 8. That's b.s. that they didn't.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

summit your photo for the calendar contest
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?t=44744

Doubt that you can get the Ford dealership that sold you the truck to redo its sales prep work for free. You bought it that way, and you own it that way. You'll pay for the service, I'd bet on it. Fortunately, the plugs aren't difficult to get to and you can do the work yourself.

However, check the spark plug specification on the emission control sticker under the hood. If they installed a plug not specified, I highly recommend that you replace all 16 plugs with the plug specified by the factory. Here's why...

Before I owned my Raptor I owned a GMC Canyon. At 60K miles I did a plug swap, and bought expensive Bosch plugs that were listed as an equivalent replacement for the factory plugs. In a matter of just a hundred miles or so, the truck threw codes indicating an ignition system problem. I went back to the auto parts store that sold me the Bosch plugs, and was told that this happens all the time now with aftermarket plugs. The explanation is that the software that manages all of the systems in a modern vehicle is written with the characteristics of the factory specified spark plugs as a prime factor. Aftermarket plugs can introduce sufficiently different characteristics into the mix and cause the vehicle to throw codes. They apologized for their mistake in selling me the wrong plugs, gave me the factory specified plugs, and refunded my money for the Bosch plugs.

As a result of this experience, my recommendation to you is to buy 16 of the factory specified spark plugs, gap them properly, and install them yourself.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doubt that you can get the Ford dealership that sold you the truck to redo its sales prep work for free. You bought it that way, and you own it that way. You'll pay for the service, I'd bet on it. Fortunately, the plugs aren't difficult to get to and you can do the work yourself.

However, check the spark plug specification on the emission control sticker under the hood. If they installed a plug not specified, I highly recommend that you replace all 16 plugs with the plug specified by the factory. Here's why...

Before I owned my Raptor I owned a GMC Canyon. At 60K miles I did a plug swap, and bought expensive Bosch plugs that were listed as an equivalent replacement for the factory plugs. In a matter of just a hundred miles or so, the truck threw codes indicating an ignition system problem. I went back to the auto parts store that sold me the Bosch plugs, and was told that this happens all the time now with aftermarket plugs. The explanation is that the software that manages all of the systems in a modern vehicle is written with the characteristics of the factory specified spark plugs as a prime factor. Aftermarket plugs can introduce sufficiently different characteristics into the mix and cause the vehicle to throw codes. They apologized for their mistake in selling me the wrong plugs, gave me the factory specified plugs, and refunded my money for the Bosch plugs.

As a result of this experience, my recommendation to you is to buy 16 of the factory specified spark plugs, gap them properly, and install them yourself.

Ruger, you make a good point. However, the plugs that the dealership used are Motorcraft plugs and they are replacements for the factory plugs. I say ask if they would replace the 8 that they missed, because the buyer was told that the plugs were replaced. If they want to be paid, just replace them yourself. GL

BANE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, SP-526 are the proper plugs. Just replace all 16 plugs, thats my advice to you, do it you self its easy and dont pay the dealer

OP
OP
J

jetrocker

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. The truck was bought a few months ago and in a different city a fair distance away, so getting them to complete the other plugs would be more trouble than it's worth. I'll go ahead and install the 8 that weren't done since the 8 already replaced only have about 2K miles on them. Glad to know that put the right ones in to begin with. Thanks again. Mark