Spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwright4679

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the best plug on the market?
I have the 5.4 with almost 50000 miles and I'd like to change mine.

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Any thoughts on the Denso Iridium Power Spark Plugs.

Hope you don't open a can of worms trying to change your spark plugs... i have heard HORROR stories.... good luck there is also a tool out there that helps remove the broken plug if it breaks off in the head. Im sure if you google ford broken spark plug tool you can find it

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Your spark plugs won't break off. The design was changed in the middle of 08. Your 10 has a fully threaded design. I believe your spark plug is 14 mm in size now as well.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354748952.865679.jpg

Here is a picture of the spark plug from 6.2. Looks like ford went back to 5/8 size socket and they are fully threaded.

cobradoc

Reaction score
There are a few manufacturers that make a 1 piece replacement plug for the 3v mod motor. They are not cheap, but are much easier to service the next time. There is a tech S/B out on procedure to replace these plugs. I have had good success using it in combination with a injection cleaning. The key is getting the engine warm before you try to unseat the plugs to pour the penetrant in the plug wells. I will warn you the is 4 to 5 hr ordeal for experienced tech. And even then we have had some break. There is a special tool to remove the broken plug, that works very well. HTH

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has 150 miles on her...but I'm all about fixing problems before they happen. Would it be a good idea to pull the plugs now and throw some anti seize on them to prevent future issues?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are a few manufacturers that make a 1 piece replacement plug for the 3v mod motor. They are not cheap, but are much easier to service the next time. There is a tech S/B out on procedure to replace these plugs. I have had good success using it in combination with a injection cleaning. The key is getting the engine warm before you try to unseat the plugs to pour the penetrant in the plug wells. I will warn you the is 4 to 5 hr ordeal for experienced tech. And even then we have had some break. There is a special tool to remove the broken plug, that works very well. HTH
Are you for real??? 4 to 5 hours to change the plugs for an experienced tech??? This sounds like a complete rip off to me. Not that I've tried either, but I think I could pull the motor out quicker, lol.

formuladriver01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford has had some problems with plugs and head design. 97- NOV of 2003 for used 5 threaded heads in the 5.4L 2V. Those heads would spit out a lot of plugs, especially the lighting a cause of the boost. After NOV 2003 they used 8 threaded heads to include the 2004 lightning. 2004-mid 2008 5.4 3 valve engines had a ****** plug design...two piece plugs. The rest of 2008 ford changed the plugs. 2009 and 2010 5.4L has a one piece plug and 8 threaded heads. I don't have any knowledge of any of the new engines but I hope ford wouldn't make the two same mistakes twice by having engines either spit out plugs or utilizing two piece plugs. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah guys, read the FRIGGIN POST before you reply up about how horrible the plugs snap off, etc. etc. These aren't 3V 5.4 heads, they're 6.2 heads, entirely different!

Going way back, the 2v 5.4's only had 4 threads in the plug wells and was notorious for spitting plugs. 2003 Ford fixed the issue with the 2v 5.4 and went to 8 threads in the plug wells.

When Ford went to the 3v 5.4, the 3v plug design was funky, and they were notirous for the plugs breaking off. Thats where the special tools come in to remove the siezed broken plugs.

The 6.2 is a 2v engine, and has 2 plugs per cylinder. There shouldn't be any plug spitting issues like the 2v 5.4 had, nor any broken plug issues like the 3v 5.4 had.

Personally unless you go s/c, keep the stock plugs. If you want to replace them before the 100k service interval, then just replace them with stockers. You're not going to gain anything from changing plugs if the stock heat range ones are still fine for your setup, other than a plug that possibly isn't as durable as a stock one. Ford puts in a quality plug to be able to get 100k life out of them.

I do run Denso IT-24s in my 00 HD drag truck, but it's far from stock with 700 rwhp. If you have a N/A 6.2, keep the stock plugs.

You can never go wrong with the stock plugs.
What is the stock plug? Copper, iridium?

I had a buddy back in the Air Force that shot a plug through his Lightning. That was a very bad day. He spent about 6 grand on a new head. Truck had just come off of warranty.

Stock plugs are iridium to be able to get that kind of life out of them.

As for your buddy with the L, if he spent $6k on a brand new head, that shop saw him coming and going! Most spit plugs can be fit with a timesert, which a lot of shops will do for $800 on the high end. Swapping on new stock heads should have been $3k max including labor. For $6k he could have had a built shortblock and brand new stock heads with cams installed, or fully ported heads and big cams on a stock block (although the rods wouldnt last long lol).

Hope you don't open a can of worms trying to change your spark plugs... i have heard HORROR stories.... good luck there is also a tool out there that helps remove the broken plug if it breaks off in the head. Im sure if you google ford broken spark plug tool you can find it

DETAILS! Those issues you're referring to are with the 3v 5.4. NOT a 6.2!