solar powered battery maintainer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdgeR6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been driving my truck less and less. I have a work vehicle and have really started using the wife's car for the running around stuff. Plus I have almost 13k on a truck that I don't drive everyday in less then a year.

I did not drive the truck for two weeks, went to start the truck remotely (another issue I'm having) and it did not start. I went out to the truck to try the ignition and the truck barely started. Just a extremely low battery. Plus its been cold. I do have a flash light (streamlight) plug in to the 12v source in the center console.

I was thinking of getting a solar powered battery maintainer. But all the ones I see seems like there is no switch and no real permit mounting and everything it will need to be disconnected when you start the truck. I would not mind a switch but I don't want to have to unplug and plug in ever time.

any suggestions.

P.S. I don't park in a garage because my garage is not big enough. and I don't have any out door power ports on the house. But I am thinking of running power out to my driveway on a post. but that's a little bit of an involved project.

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the only one I found with a controller that senses charge and shuts off. I use these guys plug-in tenders for my boat and other batteries that sit around and haven't tried a solar unit, but if this actually works, it would PERFECT for my boat and possibly your application. I swear by these dam things and always plug em in to my cars if I'm going out of town, or not going to drive the vehicle for even a weekend (especially if the temp is below 35 degrees). I mount them under the hood and wire em into the battery and hide the plug. Never had a problem starting or running the vehicles with them wired in, with the battery or the units. I am convinced that liberal use of these will improve battery life dramatically as car batteries love to stay at a full charge. The solar type appear pretty pricy and you can buy 3 of the plug in types for what this costs, but if it works without electricity input, that would be uber-sweet and pay for themselves in electricity and battery life.

http://batterytender.com/products/solar/5-watt-solar-panel.html

I did notice this other piece for use with another solar panel...

http://batterytender.com/products/solar/battery-tender-solar-controller.html

Last edited:

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a Goal Zero Guardian hooked up to 2 15W panels. Works well so far but the Guardian has been discontinued, though I have heard they are releasing a new product in June.
goalzero-guardian-photo5.jpg

They also have the Maintainer 10 Trickle Charger that would likely do the trick for you:
91fSL4SAfvL._SX466_.jpg

Neither come out of the box set up to be permanent but with a little work you can make them be. Portable Solar Battery Charger | Portable Solar Panels | Off-Grid Solar Generators | Goal Zero - Extreme Portable Power