Serpentine Belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm curious because I've never owned a vehicle with as powerful an engine as the 6.2L...

What's the likely useful life of the serpentine belt?

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a non-supercharged engine, nothing special on the belt from any other vehicle as far as wear. I have heard from 3 to 10 cracks per inch needs replacement. Once I start seeing cracks in the belt and if it is 4 years old, I replace it. For my Raptor with the Supercharger, I replace a few a year because of the heat.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I still have some V-belt dressing in the garage. I wonder if that would extend the life of a serpentine belt?

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have some V-belt dressing in the garage. I wonder if that would extend the life of a serpentine belt?

I would not use that on a serpentine belt. They are pretty easy to replace, and would always recommend doing it before it broke if at all possible.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'm with you on the ease of replacement. In fact I have a Gates Racing serpentine belt for the Raptor already in hand. I figure I'll install it at 50,000 miles and call it good. But being something of a maintenance nut, I wonder if something can't be done to extend the life of a serpentine belt.

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Mine was Really cracked so I ruled that out. Maybe if I had dressed it sooner. I already have a new belt in the upswings for the new Girl and she only has 7,900 miles. Paranoid? Nope and maybe, just a Boy Scout! Ha!!
Battery will get changed at 35,000 just for the record. I've had two in the past 20+ trucks conk out around then.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've gt 47K on my 2011, Badrap. So far, not a hint of trouble out of the battery. Checked the belt real thoroughly today as a result of this conversation, and I couldn't find a single crack. I was surprised, too. I thought I'd find something. That's why I have the Gates Racing belt already. Huh!

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've gt 47K on my 2011, Badrap. So far, not a hint of trouble out of the battery. Checked the belt real thoroughly today as a result of this conversation, and I couldn't find a single crack. I was surprised, too. I thought I'd find something. That's why I have the Gates Racing belt already. Huh!

There ya go. I just hate being stranded when simple crap breaks.
At least the belts are easier to change than the good ole bad days!Ha

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Standard industry belt diagnostics call for replacement of a serpentine belt if it shows three cracks in a three inch section. This is a good rule of thumb for Neoprene, but not so good for EPDM. EPDM belts inherently resist cracking because of the increased elasticity, so a visual check for cracks is not a very good indicator of true belt wear especially since they can run 100,000 miles or beyond with no visual cracks. A far better indicator of wear on EPDM belts is material loss.