Rear Diff Noise Under Deceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skippington

Reaction score
Hi All,

Don't post here much but thought I'd throw this out to see if anyone has an answer.

I've been in the Nevada desert for the last 3 weeks "working" and during this time I've been beating the daylights out of my 2013 Raptor.

Today when I came off a dirt road and headed slowly through town I noticed a slight wine in the rear differential while off power on decal. I've never heard this sound before.

I've seen some threads mentioning diff sound at freeway speed and seen different causes/problems.

Anybody experience this or have any idea what could be going on? Should I chill out on having the time of my life in my dream truck until i can get home and take it in?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any obvious signs of a leak at the diff or out by the wheel seals?

Might just be that it's time for a gear oil change when you get home.....

Double check that the vent tube isn't messed up or plugged with dust/dirt. May be causing some overheating......

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed^^^ if you have never changed the gear lube, I would go ahead and get some new lube, remove the cover, clean and inspect the gears, etc and install new lube. Then see if the whine continues from there.