Question regarding Spark Plugs for Roush Raptors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Are you local to jdm in NJ?
I haven't changed plugs in mine... Just curious how much fun they are to change.

They are not fun, its almost 3 hours to do all 16 plugs. Thanks Ford :flipthebird:

JimIII

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Rookie, if I change to an OEM replacement that runs cooler, I would need to retune the calibration. As per Roush, their calibration is designed to use the stock spark plugs and that is why they do not install them on their new trucks, do not include them in their supercharger kits for the Raptor nor do they recommend them in their instruction kits. I have spoken with Roush plus there are other board members that have the same supercharger kit and have confirmed that they are also running with Ford stock spark plugs.

2011 Ford F150 Raptor SVT Molten Orange - Roush CAI & Exhaust - Roush Phase II 590 HP Supercharger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tune calibration really has not that much to do with the heat range of the plugs. Roush tune's most of their vehicles, Raptors included with a very rich Fuel curve and aggressive timing curve. They add fuel for protection, which kills power. And then ramp up the timing to get the power back. However they do not have the "Know How" to the alter the throttle and transmission tables to get better performance and drive-ability like you see from our JDM Custom tune! We dial in the Air fuel to what is desired of a Supercharged engine, right around 11.5-12:1 AF. Then we scale the timing back, to a much safer level. After that we implement our throttle and transmission changes and you end up making 50-60 more HP with better driveability, fuel economy, and shifting! It's a whole new truck!

The Roush tune being aggressive on timing is more likely to damage or burn up a spark plug. And being so Rich with fuel they will quickly foul out the plugs. I would be very surprised if you could get to 100K with out changing them, I would never attempt that! Especially since they practice using the stock spark plugs which are hotter firing plugs! When you ramp up the timing and create a hotter spark from boost, power, etc...you stand more chance of detonation. Going to a Colder spark plug like the NGK Iridium 6510's we use here your much less likely do damage a spark plug! If you burn the tip off a spark plug you can damage your motor severely! I think it's just laziness on their behalf as to why they don't change the spark plugs. Nothing to do with the Calibration.

JimIII

OP
OP
aalonso

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JimIII, If I go with the NGK iridium spark plugs, do I need to retune the PCM with your tune or would they go work with the current Roush calibration?

2011 Ford F150 Raptor SVT Molten Orange - Roush CAI & Exhaust - Roush Phase II 590 HP Supercharger

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JimIII, If I go with the NGK iridium spark plugs, do I need to retune the PCM with your tune or would they go work with the current Roush calibration?

The Plugs won't require a tune change, but our tune would benefit you greatly for performance and longevity of your truck. Not only will you make more power and have better driveability with out tune but it's also safer for the engine! Your truck deserves the best right!?

decoste77

Reaction score
I would go with Jim w/JDM's advise and believe me removing the elbow after the throttle body is not that bad but putting it back will really frustrate you if you haven't done it numerous times, installing the super charger was a cake walk compared to that one part, plus theres a small vacuum line in the back, if JDM was close to me I would have them do the plugs for sure. Changing the plugs is a must and doesn't affect any performance its more of a predetination precaution. JDM know what they are doing and there tune is very smooth, but if your there I would step it up and have them dyno the truck and custom tune it.

OP
OP
aalonso

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, spark plugs are being replaced. The tech was able to remove the elbow piece with no problem and first 4 spark plugs came out and look good. The truck currently has 79,200 miles. The supercharger was installed at 61,000 miles. Here is the pic of how the spark plugs held out..
9c0ce90fb9e78233fc43a271f0220865.jpg

Rodbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I now have the JDM tune on my Roush Raptor, I like ther way it powers the SC engine much better. I had the Roush tune before and have the dyno results, now I need to get the new tune from JDM dynoed so I can see the difference.

The shifting is way better with the JDM tune and even noticed the difference when I a remote started the the truck the first time.

I will post my results soon, just got back from Alaska for 10 days.

Rodbender

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Plugs won't require a tune change, but our tune would benefit you greatly for performance and longevity of your truck. Not only will you make more power and have better driveability with out tune but it's also safer for the engine! Your truck deserves the best right!?

I think we may need to have a conversation very soon. I just bought my Rouch charged 14 in February and was considering tuning it and changing the plugs. I already had a full set of NGK 6509's here, so I am glad I saw your posts before installing them.

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think we may need to have a conversation very soon. I just bought my Rouch charged 14 in February and was considering tuning it and changing the plugs. I already had a full set of NGK 6509's here, so I am glad I saw your posts before installing them.

We haven't used the 6509's before but they are just 1 heat range hotter. Might be okay but we have found good luck using the 6510's which are a 7 heat range instead of 6.

JimIII

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We haven't used the 6509's before but they are just 1 heat range hotter. Might be okay but we have found good luck using the 6510's which are a 7 heat range instead of 6.

JimIII

Good to know. I will be getting with you shortly about a tune. I already have an SCT Livewire, do you guys offer email tunes or do you need the truck there for dyno tuning