Question regarding Spark Plugs for Roush Raptors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I currently have a 2011 Raptor with 78,900 miles. The raptor had the Roush Phase 2 supercharger installed by Roush Performance when the truck had 61,500 miles back in April 2014.

My question is at what interval and what type of sparkplugs should I use in my Raptor?

The reason that I ask is as follows; last week I called JDM Engineering to inquire about a spark plug change. I was told that I should not be running the stock spark plugs with the supercharger and I needed to change them right away with a spark plug that is one step colder and with a suggested interval change of 30,000 miles. Not being sure whether Roush replaced them or not, I contacted Roush via email and I was told the following:.......The ROUSH 6.2L supercharger kit that you have on your Raptor uses the factory Ford spark plugs; we do not change them out when performing an install. With that being said, I would recommend using the factory Ford spark plugs since that is what our kit is calibrated for. As far as maintenance goes, I would call your Ford dealer and see what they recommend; the fact that you have a supercharger on your truck should make no difference.....

Folks, if you have a Roush Raptor, please let me know which route you took in regards with the spark plug replacement

Thanks so much.

EFD_5924

Banned
Reaction score
When adding a blower and tune, the plugs most definitely need changed to the different heat range (just like jdm said). I suppose you could run the raptor and blower (no tune) on stock plugs, but still not a good idea. Surprised that whoever installed your blower had no idea you needed new plugs.
Regardless, a plug change should be in your near future. I suggest NGK TR6 plugs.

OP
OP
aalonso

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks EFD_5924. The kit was installed by Roush Performance in Livonia, MI. According to Roush, this is the same policy that they use with new Roush Raptors. So far the truck is running great with no loss of power, no loss in mpg and no check engine lights. I am currently waiting to get an appointment with JDM for the spark plug service just in case..

2011 Ford F150 Raptor SVT Molten Orange - Roush CAI & Exhaust - Roush Phase II 590 HP Supercharger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EFD_5924

Banned
Reaction score
Are you local to jdm in NJ?
I haven't changed plugs in mine... Just curious how much fun they are to change.

OP
OP
aalonso

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am located 50 miles away in NYC. The reason that I called JDM is that they work on superchargers all time and seem to be very experienced, in contrast, the tech that I use at my ford dealer may have to spend extra time to change them since he will need to remove part of the supercharger at the (driver side) and if there is an issue he may have to call Roush during the week which means that I will be without a truck for a few days. JDM said that the job can be done in 3 hours.

2011 Ford F150 Raptor SVT Molten Orange - Roush CAI & Exhaust - Roush Phase II 590 HP Supercharger

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
I suppose you could run the raptor and blower (no tune) on stock plugs, but still not a good idea.

You can't just install a SC and not have the truck tuned. It wouldnt run. Even if it did happen to run, it wouldn't be good at all. Unless I'm misunderstanding your statement, then please clarify.

EFD_5924

Banned
Reaction score
Correct, clarification would be to run just to get to the nearest dyno tune. Not meant for extended driving.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would've changed them out during the install just because you're already in there working. Especially at the mileage you're at. It is recommended to run 1-2 heat ranges cooler than the stock plugs. I would stick with an OEM replacement but cooler. You're not going to be running enough boost to dive into all of the other details.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

OP
OP
aalonso

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rookie, if I change to an OEM replacement that runs cooler, I would need to retune the calibration. As per Roush, their calibration is designed to use the stock spark plugs and that is why they do not install them on their new trucks, do not include them in their supercharger kits for the Raptor nor do they recommend them in their instruction kits. I have spoken with Roush plus there are other board members that have the same supercharger kit and have confirmed that they are also running with Ford stock spark plugs.