Question about power steering fluid.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had an interesting conversation with my local ford dealership parts dept. about what to use for power steering fluid. I went there thinking that I wanted Mercon LV automatic transmission fluid but the person in the parts dept. brought out Mercon V since I had only requested power steering fluid. When I questioned them about the Mercon V vs. Mercon LV I was informed that the LV does not state on the container that it is also power steering fluid like it does on the container for Mercon V. I had them bring out a qt. of the LV and sure enough it only said ATF so I bought the Mercon V that says ATF and PSF. What is the general consensus on FRF as to the proper fluid for power steering? I ask this because there have been so many power steering failures on the Raptor.:hmmm2:

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mercon LV is a low viscosity synthetic ATF where as Mercon V is a universal synthetic ATF. I believe LV is recommended for transmissions 09+ and is typically advertised as fuel efficient. For your power steering you're going to want the Mercon V.

This is what we would recommend for power steering fluid:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...-transmission-fluid/?code=ATFQT-EA&zo=1678239

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

dkfc13

HPA Systems LLC.
Reaction score
Motorcraft's Mercon V and LV might be considered synthetic because of the level of refinement (level 3 or higher is required if memory serves me correctly) however; they both use petrolium base oils and therefore are not a true synthetic by many people's standards.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mercon LV is a low viscosity synthetic ATF where as Mercon V is a universal synthetic ATF. I believe LV is recommended for transmissions 09+ and is typically advertised as fuel efficient. For your power steering you're going to want the Mercon V.

This is what we would recommend for power steering fluid:

AMSOIL Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

Both V and LV might be considered synthetic because of the level of refinement (level 3 or higher is required if memory serves me correctly) however; they both use petrolium base oils and therefore are not a true synthetic by many people's standards.

Thanks for the input guys, good info. I did a little more research and in the 2014 F-150 owner's manual on page 301 under power steering fluid (6.2L engine only) Motorcraft MERCON LV. In the 2014 F-150 SVT Raptor Supplement there is no mention of power steering fluid but it does list MERCON LV for the transmission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's a maintenance tip. Every time you do an oil change drain the PS reservoir and refill it with fresh fluid. All fluids age and there is no filter in the PS system. I've also added a magnet on a wire loop to the PS reservoir.

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a maintenance tip. Every time you do an oil change drain the PS reservoir and refill it with fresh fluid. All fluids age and there is no filter in the PS system. I've also added a magnet on a wire loop to the PS reservoir.

That's a good tip. Probably pretty overkill but certainly won't hurt. I like the magnet on a loop idea. Probably going to steal that @Ruger

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Do you do the same thing for coolant in the radiator?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk