PS Reservoir Magnet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gang, I've had the habit of draining and refilling the power steering reservoir every time I do an oil change for some time now. I figure that all fluids age and all fluids get dirty, the PS system doesn't have a filter, so if I regularly do a fluid swap it should extend the life of the PS pump.

But I've had a further idea. A magnet works as an open filter, and I wonder if putting a magnet in the PS reservoir might be a good idea. It could simply lay on the screen inside the reservoir. A loop of wire would enable you to remove it from the reservoir with needle nosed pliers or a wire hook to wipe it off. Opinions? Please tell me what you think.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
from the metal parts in the steering system that are exposed to the fluid as you operate the steering :)

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Also the OEM reservoir incorporates a filter.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like a permanent part.
The black plastic top is welded to the opaque bottom; if it could be separated the filter could be replaced.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Richard at Dimple Products is sending me a doughnut-shaped super magnet that has an outside diameter of about an inch. It'll easily fit into the opening of the PS reservoir. All I need to do is attach a loop of safety wire so that it can be removed from the reservoir occasionally, wiped off, and replaced. I will post photos when I get the magnet.