GEN 1 Power Stop Brakes + brake flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TheDude

TheDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake feel remains the same since the install. Pedal travel still seems long but the bite is there so I guess I'll just deal with it.

Robbiem

Reaction score
You could always unscrew the pushrod on the booster if you wanted shorter pedal but I wouldn't mess with it too much. I don't know how much adjustment they have nowadays. It was something that had to be adjusted when swapping to 1 ton brakes on my bronco years back.

It's easy enough to try and put back to stock as long as you remember what you did to it.

NOLA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did mine and they totally do have more travel than the stock rotors and pads, and feel more spongy thru the travel. I will get used to it I'm sure, but its definitely different. See pics.

Gee, I wonder why the old pads were screaming...

NOLA

Attachments

• IMG_7501.jpg
    IMG_7501.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_7508.jpg
    IMG_7508.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_7509.jpg
    IMG_7509.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 100

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your brake pedal should not be spongy, you should not have to "get use to it". Onthe contrary, the word whiplash should come to mind. I strongly recommend that anyone with spongy brake pedal feel after a full service of this type check on two main things. First and foremost, make sure that you have actually installed the pads correctly. You can see on the pads in the pic provided above that came off the truck, two of the pads have round "humps" at the top of the backing plate and two of the pads do not have those humps. The pads with the humps get installed against the caliper. It is VERY common, way too common, for installers to put both pads with the humps on the same side of the truck. Doing so keeps the pad on the outside/wheel side of the rotor from actuating properly, whereby keeping it from making full contact with the rotor. Check your pads to ensure that you have the one inner and one outer pad on each side.

Next, to the @TheDude, for your brake fluid flush. What you did was fine for flushing old fluid out of the system, but you need to bleed with a friend, neighbor, coworker, girlfriend or whomever you need to just to pump the brake pedal for you and bleed as follows. Starting and bleeding in the same order you flushed, get the person helping to pump the brake pedal until it feels firm and hold it to the floor. While they hold pressure on it, brake the bleeder screw loose to release the fluid. You are looking to eliminate any possible spitting. Once you have a full flow immediately upon breaking the bleeder loose under pressure, move to the next wheel and repeat until done. When you flush in the manner you did, there is time between when you are pumping the brake pedal and closing the bleeder where air is being introduced through the bleeder. Even the smallest amount of air in the system can cause a soft pedal.

One last thing to keep in mind. When you are "bedding in" your brakes, make sure you are hitting them HARD. You want to get them really hot, you want to smell them. Then let them cool.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
TheDude

TheDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris,

I don't think whiplash should be the term as these are street cars/trucks. I'm also familiar with the bed-in process. I still want to try another flush but I'm pretty confident I didn't take air through the bleed screw.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just got my r1 package on a few days ago, and they definitely got me with the front pad packaging. I had both inner in the drivers side and both outlets on passengers side.. I put 100mi on them, I just rotated them to proper position and the pedal is 100% better already.. Had a lot of dust on drivers wheel

I've never seen pads packaged that way, so that's what got me and I was a mechanic for 15 years...

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got my r1 package on a few days ago, and they definitely got me with the front pad packaging. I had both inner in the drivers side and both outlets on passengers side.. I put 100mi on them, I just rotated them to proper position and the pedal is 100% better already.. Had a lot of dust on drivers wheel

I've never seen pads packaged that way, so that's what got me and I was a mechanic for 15 years...

I have had customers whose pads were installed wrong at Ford dealerships, performance shops, by themselves. It is very very common.

D

Deleted member 12951

I didn't use power stop but just recently changed all my rotors and pads then flushed with AMSOIL brake fluid and brakes feels a bit spongy too. Interesting to see what you find out.

I had the dealership power bleed my brakes after we did the two person pump brakes method several times. Much better or I got used to the pedal feel.

OP
OP
TheDude

TheDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have been towing the boat a lot lately and have taken a few long distance trips. I've tried to really pay attention to the pedal feel on the Raptor compared to the BRZ. I think I over-analyzed initially because the feel is similar between vehicles. I will say that the Power Stop set feels like it needs to be warmed up a bit to get enough bite. The first couple of stops while cold are a bit softer.