Oof! Brake pad wore down & separated.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robb0h

Reaction score
History: I bought a '14 with 91k & change on it. Had it for ~1k miles so far. Dealer said they checked it over so I hadn't looked at the pads yet.

I was running an errand and felt a weird pulse in the brakes and then it sounded like brake pad scraping (admittedly a high level of it) from the front passenger brake. I was a few miles from home and it was all pretty desolate hwy travel so I decided to keep going. Got home and found it looks like the material wore down on the outer pad and it separated, came out of the caliper and wedged between the dust shield & rotor. I'm actually surprised it didn't sound/feel worse after seeing this.

My guess is that the outer pad had been stuck and not retracting?? The inner pad (and both drivers side) had a bunch of material left. I never heard any "brake wear indicator squeal" or smelled burning pad smell in the ~1k miles I've had the car so I'm wondering how long it's been going on and suspicious of the care the tech took "checking it over"...when putting the new tires on it (it had gotten new tires at the dealership before I bought it) I would think a glance at the pads would've caused a raised eyebrow. I'm thinking that pad had to be obviously smaller.

Anyway, new pads & rotors are now on. (Forgot to take pics after I was done).

ca8e2777fa461da6b79c1606b9508a86.jpg

6d9c3e0c8976124d06b1aa1564fc2b45.jpg

3e4485030adbe4820d269416caca83e4.jpg

054d3bfc0d68bb3907d093058ebc7537.jpg

5014730bac165778d8f287eaa972937f.jpg

cf87aca25e0814ad5f47f9d87aca01df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the guide pins to make sure none of them were frozen? On these types of calipers I've had several frozen guide pins on past Corvettes, Camaro's and the Raptor. I've already replaced 1 or 2 guide pins on the Raptor when I had less than 50k miles.

OP
OP
Robb0h

Robb0h

Reaction score
Did you check the guide pins to make sure none of them were frozen? On these types of calipers I've had several frozen guide pins on past Corvettes, Camaro's and the Raptor. I've already replaced 1 or 2 guide pins on the Raptor when I had less than 50k miles.

I did. They looked & felt great. Freshly greased & they move fine. Good thought though. I thought that was going to be what it was, as that happened on my vette once and wore down one of the inner pads. So now I'm not sure WHAT did it. I'll just keep checking wear often and see what happens.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said the ruined pad was on the outside? If so then the pads were installed wrong. That pad has the remains of two round humps at the top of the backing plate. The two pads in a set need to be installed against the caliper. The humps correspond to the caliper pistons, but when installed on the outside like that the pad can,the float in the bracket, binds up and gets ruined. Whoever installed them messed up.

THE RAFFLE PRIZE PACK IS NOW WORTH $650 CHECK IT OUT BELOW &HELP A WORTHY CAUSE

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?t=49345

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Totally agree with Chris. Check out this YouTube video for a visual explanation. https://youtu.be/sXGcgUezqlY

Id recommend checking the driver's side as well. Also, if you tried to reinstall the new pads in the same manner as the old ones then you might want to insure that you didn't duplicate the mistake that may have already been there.

Another hint that the pads are installed wrong is if you had to really force the caliper bracket bolts to line up. It should be easily to line up and the bolts should start easily by hand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robb0h

Robb0h

Reaction score
Oof! Brake pad wore down & separated.

I meant inner. You can see in the pic where it's wedged it's on the inside :). Not sure why I typed outside...probably because as I was laying in bed a couple days later typing & replaying doing the job in my head it was the farther away pad so I had a brain fart & typed outer. You couldn't even get them together if they're switched because of the rounded sections.

I did both sides. Thanks for the heads up on my mistake haha