Oil Filter and Oil brands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCam

Reaction score
Wix or Ford Racing are the best filters. If you do a search there's an analysis that was posted a few years ago where all the major filters were cut open and analyzed. I think Napa Gold may also have been a very good filter. Most of the rest were basically junk.

I'm told the Napa filters are made by Wix. I use the Platinum with Motorcraft synthetic blend 5-20. When new, I was running Amsoil but the motor was using oil. I think it's too "skinny"

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For you guys bagging on Fram- yea, I agree their base filters are likely junk. However their top end synthetic Xtra Guard filters are considered to one of the best filters available at any price. Things change, some dude cutting filters open 5 years ago isn't still gospel today. Don't believe me- go check out BITOG forums and catch up on what's on the market now.

Personally, I just run standard Ford brand filters and Supertech 5W-30 synthetic in everything. Oiling failures just aren't an issue on modern Ford engines. I can change my oil for less than $20. $100+ changes are a total waste of money.

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For you guys bagging on Fram- yea, I agree their base filters are likely junk. However their top end synthetic Xtra Guard filters are considered to one of the best filters available at any price. Things change, some dude cutting filters open 5 years ago isn't still gospel today. Don't believe me- go check out BITOG forums and catch up on what's on the market now.

Personally, I just run standard Ford brand filters and Supertech 5W-30 synthetic in everything. Oiling failures just aren't an issue on modern Ford engines. I can change my oil for less than $20. $100+ changes are a total waste of money.

It wasn't some dude. It was Ford.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manuals/Oil_Filter_Cutaway_Comparison.pdf

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I just read this and am confused by their statement that the pressure relief valve/bypass valve in the motorcraft filter doesn't allow unfiltered back into the engine. The whole point of the bypass is to maintain oil feed at the cost of contamination. There picture a few slides in even shows that.

Feature an up-front (threaded-end) pressure relief
valve design which prevents unfiltered oil from
reaching the engine.

Based on this I would be skeptical of the whole document and look for other research on the subject.

TK421

Reaction score
FL-820S Ford Motorcraft oil filter and mobil 1 5/20. You can buy both at walmart for cheaper then anywhere else.

Last edited: