Oil change impact on Transmission Temp.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Oil change at 1500 miles . Used Mobil 1 5-20 Extended Performance. Fram Extended guard.
Transmission Temp once truck up to temp was consistent 195 F. After oil change the temp rarely goes over 177 F and only reaches this higher operating temp after running for some time even around town.
Thought this was a bit interesting and worth posting.

Also I believe the 6.2 is shipped with full synthetic from the factory .

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How would engine oil and transmission oil temp be related, unless you're talking about less strain on the engine causing less strain on the tranny?

I don't get it...

I want to understand this though, because I switched out to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic on the 2010 Raptor I had... Doing the same with the 2011.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
First Oil change at 1500 miles . Used Mobil 1 5-20 Extended Performance. Fram Extended guard.
Transmission Temp once truck up to temp was consistent 195 F. After oil change the temp rarely goes over 177 F and only reaches this higher operating temp after running for some time even around town.
Thought this was a bit interesting and worth posting.

Also I believe the 6.2 is shipped with full synthetic from the factory .

They won't have anything to do with each other, must be another variable causing the difference. The 6.2 comes with Motorcraft 5-20 synthetic blend....not a full synthetic but still a very good oil to say the least.

OP
OP
DEADEYE

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get it either , that's why I posted . Heat transfer from motor to trans ? After all they are coupled .

I started to wounder if I hit a fricking sensor. ( and this was not a six pack oil change ) Maybe next time , that and I still have to dig a pit in the back yard for the waste oil .

Last edited:

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I don't get it either , that why I posted . Heat transfer from motor to trans ? After all they are coupled .

I started to wounder if I hit a fricking sensor. ( and this was not a six pack only change ) Maybe next time , that and I still have to dig a pit in the back yard for the waste oil .

Just pour that shit down the kitchen sink. It'll make your drains flow better.

mblgjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gear selection and ambient temperature have the most impact on trans temp.

Mine seems to run slightly hotter in 5th gear (vs. 4th or 6th; running 2k rpm in ea gear).

Mine typically runs 195-200 with 90-95deg ambient temps.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Gear selection and ambient temperature have the most impact on trans temp.

Mine seems to run slightly hotter in 5th gear (vs. 4th or 6th; running 2k rpm in ea gear).

Mine typically runs 195-200 with 90-95deg ambient temps.

Do the '11's show actual temp.?

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fellas, it is possible that the trans is operating a little cooler due to engine operating temp as the oil-to-water cooler is engine operating temp. If the engine is operating at 10 to 15 degrees cooler due to the mobil 1 (speculation only) then it is possible that the trans is benefitting from the cooler trans cooler temp. It certainly will work the other way as when the engine temp gets higher, so does the trans temp.

FSM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free