Oil Analysis report came back critical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MasterChief

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering what some other thoughts are on this. I replaced factory oil/ filter at 1000 miles and replaced with Amsoil ALMQT (signature synthetic) and FRAM XG2 filter. Just did oil analysis after 8500 mile/ 1 yr replacement and had a base rating of 1.6...sheet attached with some higher than average metals. I would have expected a little better performance from AMSOIL...anyone else every have anything similar? I have contacted them for their thoughts.

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 122

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That isn't an issue with the oil, that is a 100% result of using a Fram filter. Fram filters are some of the worst filters on the market. That filter isn't filtering those wear metals. While yes, some of it can be attributed to the break in period, the filtration of the oil is the life of the oil. If the filter being used isn't a quality filter that actually removes the wear metals from the oil, it isn't worth running. I would strongly recommend using the filter linked below. It DOES cost more than the Fram, but there is a reason for that. This is the reason that AMSOIL engine oils are guaranteed for longer intervals IF used in combination with their filters.

AMSOIL AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters

kboss87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the engine break in and Fram filter both contributing to that.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:think:My thoughts are . . had you used a Group 2 oil as opposed to the Group 4 oil
then, your analysis may look better.
But, would it really be better.
Answer: NO
The better grade oil most likely has a better additive package in it.
The synthetic molecule is superior for heat, but what you are seeing is,
an oil with a better additive package
- meaning
detergents, antioxidants, and Surfactants.
Surfactants keep these particles in suspension thereby, getting them Out of you engine when the oil is changed.
And a new engine will initially produce more metals in the oil.
Filtering is very important, but I suspect what you are seeing is a result of an oil that "gets it out" as opposed to "leaving it in"
And, :naughty: you know leaving it in too long . . your engine just may get a 'new wrinkle' in it.
:Caffeine:
Your next oil analysis will probably be much better.