new Rotors and pads R1's vs Stage3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@GotExhaust

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks! Not seeing where/how to use the promo code, but assuming its 20% off, I can do the math.

For the pads included in the complete package kit for my 14' SCrew (R1RF.RPCKG), exactly which pads are these? R1 advertises Optimum OEp (tagged as "recommended" w/ drilled/slotted Geomet rotors on my application), ceramic and semi-metallic?

Of course, I realize your site reads "ceramic", but both semi-metallic and ceramic are made from ceramic according to the comparison chart on the R1 site--so its a little ambiguous. And I assume the Optimum OEp could very well be ceramic too, given whatever the "factory formulation" is.

Also, if your package is indeed the "Ceramic Series" pad, why should I choose these over the manufacturer recommended Optimum OEp?

Full disclosure, I expect to purchase around mid/late Feb--which is when I expect I'll have the time to out them on.

Chris can answer this much better than myself to be honest. Send Chris a PM and when he is back, should be Wednesday he can answer all your brake questions.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Chris@FreedomMotorsports ... Not seeing R1 Concepts brakes on your site.... are you no longer carrying them? Are they still the best upgrade option?

I have two Freedom websites. www.freedommotorsports.us and www.freedommotorsportsraptorstore.com The R1 products are on the latter due to the lack of product data PIES and ACES files needed from R1 to load the products to the primary website.

Thanks! Not seeing where/how to use the promo code, but assuming its 20% off, I can do the math.

For the pads included in the complete package kit for my 14' SCrew (R1RF.RPCKG), exactly which pads are these? R1 advertises Optimum OEp (tagged as "recommended" w/ drilled/slotted Geomet rotors on my application), ceramic and semi-metallic?

Of course, I realize your site reads "ceramic", but both semi-metallic and ceramic are made from ceramic according to the comparison chart on the R1 site--so its a little ambiguous. And I assume the Optimum OEp could very well be ceramic too, given whatever the "factory formulation" is.

Also, if your package is indeed the "Ceramic Series" pad, why should I choose these over the manufacturer recommended Optimum OEp?

Full disclosure, I expect to purchase around mid/late Feb--which is when I expect I'll have the time to out them on.

That promo code only works on the Raptor Store website and is on I think the second or third page of checkout.

I do not recommend the R1Concepts pads. I began changing my listings while testing them for R1Concepts and wound up not liking them. While they do perform well for the most part, they do not perform better than the Posi-Quiet pads that we have recommended since 2009. Brake dust and noise are my biggest complaints with them. With the Posi-Quiet ceramic pads, you have the performance needed with no dust or noise. We also no longer source the Posi-Quiet pads through R1, they stopped offering them in favor of pushing their brand pads. They are a full ceramic pad and I have sold 500 of the same package for Raptor owners since 2012 and never had a negative review or complaint with them.

The brake packages for the Raptor are listed at the link below and you can use promo code 20OFFR1CONCEPTS there during checkout.

https://www.freedommotorsportsraptorstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1126_1128

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two Freedom websites. www.freedommotorsports.us and www.freedommotorsportsraptorstore.com The R1 products are on the latter due to the lack of product data PIES and ACES files needed from R1 to load the products to the primary website.

That promo code only works on the Raptor Store website and is on I think the second or third page of checkout.

I do not recommend the R1Concepts pads. I began changing my listings while testing them for R1Concepts and wound up not liking them. While they do perform well for the most part, they do not perform better than the Posi-Quiet pads that we have recommended since 2009. Brake dust and noise are my biggest complaints with them. With the Posi-Quiet ceramic pads, you have the performance needed with no dust or noise. We also no longer source the Posi-Quiet pads through R1, they stopped offering them in favor of pushing their brand pads. They are a full ceramic pad and I have sold 500 of the same package for Raptor owners since 2012 and never had a negative review or complaint with them.

The brake packages for the Raptor are listed at the link below and you can use promo code 20OFFR1CONCEPTS there during checkout.

https://www.freedommotorsportsraptorstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1126_1128
Copy all...thanks! I think I'll go with your recommendation.

While I have you... going to be stuffing in some 37" BFG MT/KM2's and will need to recal the speedo at the very least, so might as well grab a tune to go with the tuner I'll need while I'm at it. What do you recommend for both (best tune, best tunner--even if not packaged together)? I know this can be somewhat contentious, and you might not wanna dump on your suppliers in the open, so please PM if necessary.

Some pertinent facts to help with a recommendation. I live in Charleston, SC and have ZERO places to ride that won't get me shot, arrested or both. So I rarely off-road...but I love to when I can--in which case it's mostly flat, muddy logging roads. I generally run 87 octane gas, but have plenty of readily available octane options, incl. 89, 91 and 93. Some are even ethenol free, but never more than 10%. Would run higher octane if the tune truly made it worth while... and if at least some the increased expense were offset by increased mileage.

And regarding the 37's... going to give them a year or so with the 4.11 gears before deciding if I wanna step up (or down, technically) to 4.56's (Not sure if that plays into the tune recommendation at all).

Thanks again for your time. Look forward to doing business!

-Tommy

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just pulled the trigger on a complete set of R1 Concept rotors w/ Posi-quiet pads from https://www.freedommotorsportsraptorstore.com

Added an SCT Tuner w/ a 5 Tune for good measure.

75th Fires

Reaction score

Just ordered. Thanks for supporting the site!

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
installed my rear R1s on Sunday and plan to do the fronts soon.

R1-rear.jpg

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed my R1 Rotors and Posi-Quiet on all four corners Sunday. Look and feel really good... and nary a squeak! I give them a solid "recommend" so far to anyone looking for a brake upgrade or just a replacement set of rotors and pads.

Last edited:

TXRPTOR37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoping to install new R1 rotors with Posi-Quiet pads today. They didn’t come with instructions so I’ve pieced together information from FRF and YouTube. Still have a few questions:

Is it okay for me to compress the pistons with a flathead screwdriver to remove the caliper? If so, is there anything else I need to do other than pumping the brakes 5-10 times before starting the truck back up?

Do I need to do anything with the pins or should I leave them alone?

Do I need to grease or lube the shims? I’ve seen conflicting info on this.

What is the burn in process?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to start fresh with brakes. Compressing calipers no issues. Take apart wipe down, grease pins, lube shims, and bleed brakes with fresh fluid. If this hasn’t been done, prolly past due. I did all four at once so now I have a starting point on when I need to change fluid the next time. If someone doesn’t beat me to the info, I’ll have to dig up the bed in process I used. Have had not one issue since.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoping to install new R1 rotors with Posi-Quiet pads today. They didn’t come with instructions so I’ve pieced together information from FRF and YouTube. Still have a few questions:

Is it okay for me to compress the pistons with a flathead screwdriver to remove the caliper? If so, is there anything else I need to do other than pumping the brakes 5-10 times before starting the truck back up?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it okay for me to compress the pistons with a flathead screwdriver to remove the caliper?

No need. Just use a screwdriver and or pry bar at the top of the caliper to pry against the edge of the rotor to pry it off. Then compress the caliper pistons with an old brake pad and a large C-clamp. I always break the bleeder loose while doing that so I don't force fluid backwards through the brake master cylinder.

If so, is there anything else I need to do other than pumping the brakes 5-10 times before starting the truck back up?

I personally recommend fully flushing the brake fluid whenever installing new pads and rotors to ensure that you get the absolute most performance and longevity out of your upgrade.

I HIGHLY recommend pulling the caliper guide pins out, cleaning them and inside their guide holes to remove all old grime and grease. Then regrease them well before reinstallation. Their proper operation is VITAL to the longevity and performance of your new parts.

Which shims? If you mean the metal pad hardware, you CAN put just a dab of brake quiet grease on them and it does help, just don't put too much. A dab smeared on each of them is sufficient. Also spread a light coat on the backing plates of the pads as well to help eliminate the risk of noise from their movement.

Take it for a ride, get up to 35 mph and HARD brake down to 10-15mph without stopping completely. Then get up to 45mph and HARD brake down to 10-15 without stopping completely. Then repeat at 55 and 65mph. Then ride easy to get to where you can let it sit for 30-45 minutes to allow the brakes to cool and you are golden. Don't be concerned with smelling the brakes or seeing a little smoke. The point is to get the pads good and hot so they properly mate to the rotors.

Last edited: