New Front Brakes-Rotors Rubbing Inside of Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying, I've done a ton of brake jobs over the years. I mean dozens. I wouldn't say I've done over a hundred, but it's got to be close. Just saying this isn't my first rodeo.

So I picked up a set of R1 Concepts front rotors and pads. Also got a Motive Products Power Bleeder so I could flush the brake fluid with new synthetic AMSOIL.

Did the whole job with no issues. Everything went back together as it should and "looked" right, meaning the pads were near identical in size and shape to what I took off. Buttoned it all up and left to do the bedding process.

Soon as I got it in reverse, I hear something. Pull out of driveway, put her in gear and start to accelerate slowly to Stop sign a house away. I hear the worst noise every, like a thud thud thud thud. I stop for the sign and as I do, sound dissipates, but doesn't leave. Get three more houses away and I'm like, "something is rubbing!". So I put her in park, get out and check what I can see. The caliper on the driver's side is close, but I don't feel anything on the inside. I turn around and get back into the garage, all the while hearing this sound that seems to lessen as I brake.

I pull the driver's wheel off, nothing on the inside.

I pull the passenger side wheel off, and holy chit, it's chewed up! This is where I tell you I have Method wheels in the OEM size, despite the offset.

Sure enough, the bottom of the caliper chewed into the wheel. Now, you can see it, but it's like 1/4 of a millimeter. I mean, it's not THAT bad. Looks worse than it is.

I do some rudimentary checking around, and put the wheel back on. I start off again and it's pretty much the same. It is better when I brake still, so I tried riding the brakes thinking I could run some material off and create more space. I also decided, that the damage is done, and it can't get any worse, so 'f' it, I'm going for my bedding process.

By the time I was done, the sound was gone, as I'm sure the wheel was ground down and the brake pads lost enough material to allow the caliper to seat inboard enough.

I can't imagine I'm the only guy with Methods and R1 brakes. I'm confident I got the right stuff, as it was dang near identical. I guess I could have gotten something ever so slightly off, but it's off only on one side.

So, anyone hear of this? Ever, on any car or truck? If not, and I'm the first, be forewarned it could happen to you.

If the fitment and clearance is really that tight, I might do just the rotors next time, and then the pads, so I'm not installing two new full thickness items at the same time. Not ideal, but better than a chewed Method.

Thoughts? Comment? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Todd

Last edited:
OP
OP
shooterAMG

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They rubbed on what I would call the "spokes" of the wheel. It was rubbing on the inside surface of the "spokes". I wish I had taken a photo, but I was in such a scramble to get it back together to see if I had fixed it.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only thing could be a different offset on the disks and there for pushed the caliper over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
8u5ebyvy.jpg

Does it look like that? That happened on Raptizzle's 2014 after he pulled the Double Standards off an older Raptor that had no issues.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f25/method-double-standards-2014-a-29526/

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
We were looking at Alan's (ISFast) on the lift yesterday. He's got the R1's and Method DS. It was probably a millimeter clearance between the wheel weights and calipers. You could barely see any light through there! He can't rotate because there's even less clearance on the front wheels.