Modifying transmission dip stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ruger - great-looking install! You made a useful discovery about the mark-transfer business or just that the video takes a lot of shortcuts?

The video is essentially visual Cliff Notes - it leaves out some essential elements of the installation and does not always agree with the printed installation instructions.

And damn it, they never called me back. I guess my installation of the B&M dipstick will have to wait until next week.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I finally got clarification from B&M on the use of Teflon tape when installing their "remote dipstick" for Ford F-150 trucks with 4R70E, 4R75E, 6R80, an 10R80 transmissions.

B&M tech support says that Teflon tape may be used throughout the installation for peace of mind, but it's not necessary.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the "What did u do to your Raptor today?" thread there has been some brief discussion about how to insulate the B&M dipstick from heat sources, and I have an idea about that. Readily available are woven heat resistant sleeves for spark plugs and spark plugs wires. If several of those are slid over the woven exterior of the B&M dipstick, they should be all the insulation required. When I do the final installation of my dipstick, that's what I'm going to do.

The place to go for a terrific variety of products that insulate against heat is www.designengineering.com.

And BTW, plastic zip ties can only withstand temperatures up to 185 degrees and the melting point of the plastic is 495 degrees. The B&M dipstick will pass within only an inch or two of the exhaust pipe and will be right above the catalytic converter. Modern catalytic converters operate at temperatures from 1200 to 1600 degrees. I've found stainless steel zip ties at Ace Hardware and O'Reilly's Auto Parts.

Last edited:

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steve's 4 minute installation video on the B&M web site...
- Ignores steps 6, 7, 22, and 23 in the printed instructions in which you record the fluid level on the factory dipstick, and then use that mark to transfer the high and low marks from the factory dipstick to the B&M dipstick.
- Recommends the use of Teflon tape when mounting the dipstick adaptor (referred to as the dipstick tube fitting in the printed instructions) to the transmission. The printed instructions do not mention Teflon tape. I stayed on hold for 20 minutes today trying to get clarification from B&M and finally gave up and left a voice mail message. As a result, I haven't completed the installation.
- Does not mention the use of cable ties to secure the dipstick tube (step 18 in the printed instructions). The parts list in the printed instructions list two cable ties for this purpose. My package did not include cable ties. The installation is so close to the exhaust that the use of plastic zip ties would be ill advised. Ace Hardware has stainless steel zip ties - recommended.

B&M is again out of stock of PN 22200.

Looks like B&M pulled their YouTube video of the install. I'm thinking of going the route of laser-etching the marks on the dipstick instead of the "saw-blade marking" presented by B&M.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like B&M pulled their YouTube video of the install. I'm thinking of going the route of laser-etching the marks on the dipstick instead of the "saw-blade marking" presented by B&M.

Lacking a laser etcher, I'll be using a jeweler's file.

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ruger - I was surprised at how many shops now do this kind of work. There were at least two within 10 minutes of my home. They do small jobs like this and big ones.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ruger - I was surprised at how many shops now do this kind of work. There were at least two within 10 minutes of my home. They do small jobs like this and big ones.

That's against my religion, Jim. I may be 60+ years old, but I never ever hire someone to do what I can do for myself.

In this particular instance a bracket was necessary to mount the top of the dipstick in a way that I thought was necessary. Would a shop design, weld, and rustproof a bracket for me? Doubtful.

I went to Advance Auto yesterday to buy the transmission filter. They sold me a filter that had a different P/N than the one I used four years ago. Would a shop care? Would they go back and buy the filter with the same part number as the one I previously used? Would they compare the fitment of the two filters and use the one that's most appropriate?

Today I bought the oddball Mercon LV transmission fluid. Would a shop drive all the way across town and spend $250 for the best fluid available?

See? Against my religion, and I'm a firm believer.

Last edited:

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm or deny a few things for me regarding the installation of the B&M dipstick? The directions and videos have muddied the waters. Directions seem to indicate that if cold, the fluid will not run out of the fill cap is removed. Reason I care is I would rather do as much of the install with everything cold and reduce the burns I may sustain. Having only the initial fluid check as the point where everything is hot.

Scenario 1: truck has sat overnight, trans fluid is cold and engine is off. If the fill/dipstick cap is removed, will the fluid run out? (My guess is no)

scenario 2: truck and trans have reached operating temperature and the engine is off. If the fill/dipstick cap is removed will the fluid run out? (Based on research, yes)

scenario 3: truck and trans have reached operating temperature and the engine is on. If the fill/dipstick cap is removed will the fluid run out? (Based on research no)

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess on 1. Correct
Research on 2. Correct
Research on 3. Correct

You don’t want to fill to where the fluid is showing near the hot line. What I did was filled to the very bottom of the dipstick (fluid barely touching). Get it to operating temp then add little at a time to the hot line. Unfortunately you’re going to spend a little time under a hot truck, but it really wasn’t too bad. I had my shop fan going to exhaust the radiating heat from under it.

Also if you can justify it, get a Motive Power Fill. I use mine on everything and makes quick work with the trans.