Modifying transmission dip stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ruger - I was going to install the PA dipstick on my 2013, never got to it - glad I didn't because I like the B&M design much more. I am going to proceed with this project, as-is, but want to investigate fabrication of a mounting bracket so it is integral with the engine to prevent the potential issue which you note. If I come up with a good solution, I'll post it.

Jimster, did you ever solve the problem? I think it can be done using the studs that support the lower spark plug wire standoffs. A simple bracket mounted with nuts underneath the standoffs would be sufficient to support the upper end of the dipstick, and it would put it in much more accessible location than on the firewall under the cab overhang.

You mentioned a "PA dipstick." Not familiar with that. Can you please be more specific? I'd like the opportunity to compare as you have done.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jimster, did you ever solve the problem? I think it can be done using the studs that support the lower spark plug wire standoffs. A simple bracket mounted with nuts underneath the standoffs would be sufficient to support the upper end of the dipstick, and it would put it in much more accessible location than on the firewall under the cab overhang.

You mentioned a "PA dipstick." Not familiar with that. Can you please be more specific? I'd like the opportunity to compare as you have done.

Thanks!

Ruger - Performance Automatic (PA) was the other dipstick solution I was referring to:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pma-pa68404/overview/

Some have installed them and it looks to be a quality product, was the best offering out there for a time, however, when reviewing the installation video, the tube is retained in the fitting which mounts in the transmission only by o-rings - that is a bad design. The B&M tube is a single piece which threads solidly into the transmission.

I was thinking along the same lines as you were.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you @Jimster58!

I do see what you mean about how the two dipstick options mount to the transmission. As they're both priced in the $190 bracket (a lot of money for a doggone dipstick, but you also get unburned hands for that price), it seems clear that the B&M product is superior. BTW I priced B&M PN 22200 at B&M, Summit Racing, and JEGS and they all have the same price. You can order it fronm Wal-Mart for $6 more, though.

I have one question about the B&M dipstick, and that is whether it can be used to refill the transmission after servicing it. As the Performance Automatic design permits that, I suspect that it's true for the B&M design. But because refill capability is essential to avoiding burned knuckles, I'm going to call them and ask the question. I'll post their answer here.

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

I just reread the product description on the B&M web site, and in the parts list they mention "Steel Braided Dipstick/Fluid Fill Tube." I think that answers the question, but I'll call anyway to be certain.

I've already purchased the steel necessary to make the bracket, and I've got a good design working in my head. The trick is to make the bracket so that it doesn't wig-wag around inside the engine compartment due to engine vibration, and with a little (very little) clever engineering that won't be difficult. I'll post my design here.

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You CAN use the B&M dipstick to service the transmission. This is from the installation manual:

"ADDING TRANSMISSION FLUID
ONLY USE THE TRANSMISSION FLUID SPECIFIED BY YOUR VEHICLE’S MANUFACTURER.
Add transmission fluid through the dipstick adapter using a 3/8" O.D. rubber hose, and a pump or funnel.
Add fluid slowly, and check often to avoid overservicing."

Last edited:

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PA changed the design , no longer 2 o-rings, one rubber sleeve. Just installed one of the PA, because of B&M being out of stock.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^Could you please describe what the new design is - how it mounts to the transmission housing? Where does the other end mount? And do you have to transfer the Lo ahd Hi marks from the factory dipstick to the PA dipstick as you do with the B&M design?

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Ruger , No did not have to transfer the hash marks,I think is due to the aluminum spacer that’s screwed into trans, they calculated the distance for it. This would be the easiest way to see what’s going on, the only difference is the rubber sleeve vs the 2 o-rings, (pic of sleeve)

https://youtu.be/zRSjAjB5QGE

Attachments

• 4A3F56C1-E356-4EBA-8D1B-B6017009824F.jpeg
    4A3F56C1-E356-4EBA-8D1B-B6017009824F.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the only thing retaining the dipstick/fill tube into the transmission adapter is still the tension between the tube end and the rubber bushing (sleeve), correct? There could be a scenario where the tube is pulled out of the adapter or start leaking - both of which would be a liability.

@Ruger - not having dipstick markings is a revelation for the B&M. I would have assumed that they would have thought of that as being something kinda important...

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the only thing retaining the dipstick/fill tube into the transmission adapter is still the tension between the tube end and the rubber bushing (sleeve), correct? There could be a scenario where the tube is pulled out of the adapter or start leaking - both of which would be a liability.

@Ruger - not having dipstick markings is a revelation for the B&M. I would have assumed that they would have thought of that as being something kinda important...

Yes correct, I wasn’t to thrilled with it when I had it in hand, anything is possible,but it is in there pretty good after checking on 2 days in a row, I was actually thinking on putting a piece of HD shrink tubing over the 2 pieces, I just didn’t want to wait on out of stock, also didn’t hear of any problems with it when I searched out the product.

Last edited: