Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - General Information > Ford Raptor Maintenance Forum
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Maintenance Forum

Modifying transmission dip stick

This is a discussion on Modifying transmission dip stick within the Ford Raptor Maintenance Forum forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - General Information category!
Originally Posted by R1jamn Yes, I leave the dipstick out and then re-install the filler cap when done. I leave ...

User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by R1jamn View Post
Yes, I leave the dipstick out and then re-install the filler cap when done. I leave the dipstick with the handle attached in my tool box now.
Yes, I wear a pair of mechanics gloves to remove and re-install the filler cap.

You need to take several readings with the dipstick and this mod allowed me to perform this easily and quickly.

Try and take this dipstick in and out several times with just your fingers, even with gloves on, and you will soon be giving a verbal whipping to the FoMoCo engineers.

This mod keeps the dipstick positioned perfectly so it does not fall over or tilt, which could give you a false reading on the hash mark.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

I did not use a lift. I just threw a piece of carpet on the ground and crawled underneath to take readings.
Just insert dipstick, remove, take reading, wipe clean and repeat until you have a consistant reading.
I'm 5'7" and maneuver quite will under the raptor for this.
A lift is preferable but the trans fluid temp was dropping below 193F quickly.
So I had to act quickly and throw the carpet down and crawl underneath, remove filler cap and perform the reading.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

???

Ruger.....Drill and tap the dipstick and attach a handle. Done.
Simple and effective.

When i say leather gloves i mean like this. They protect the heat very well, you could weld with them. I took my sweet time when i did it. Mechanix wear gloves are useless imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 07-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by ogdobber View Post
When i say leather gloves i mean like this. They protect the heat very well, you could weld with them. I took my sweet time when i did it. Mechanix wear gloves are useless imo

I used the mechanics gloves to reach up and navigate the dipstick in and out of the filler hole. I found it to be a waste of time and energy as it was just to difficult and dangerous.

Leather will provide better protection.....Yes.
You will still feel the heat if you lay any part of your gloved hand on the cat. That leather will transfer the heat if left on the cat for too long.
Your hand will feel insulated then BAMM!!!! The heat is on you quick and you will peel the glove off in record time.

This mod elimates many of those issues.

Last edited by R1jamn; 07-17-2017 at 04:21 PM.
R1jamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

@R1jamn wrote: "A lift is preferable but the trans fluid temp was dropping below 193F quickly."

Transmission dipstick readings are done with the engine and transmission at operating temperature and with the engine running. How is it that the transmission fluid temperature was quickly dropping, R1jamn?

Old 07-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
@R1jamn wrote: "A lift is preferable but the trans fluid temp was dropping below 193F quickly."

Transmission dipstick readings are done with the engine and transmission at operating temperature and with the engine running. How is it that the transmission fluid temperature was quickly dropping, R1jamn?

Ruger , the service manual specifically states to check the trans fluid level with the engine running and in Park with the trans fluid temp between 193F and 215F

I simply used the trans temp gauge on the info screen to monitor the trans fluid temp.
I would drive until the fluid temp on the info screen reached 197F to 199F then drive back to the area I had my tools set up (flat area) and check the fluid level.

As far as the temp of the trans fluid dropping, it would go down to 190F at idle quickly and lower if it idled longer.
I wasn't performing a test on how far the temp would drop though.
RDFTS likes this.

Last edited by R1jamn; 07-17-2017 at 06:02 PM.
R1jamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

I've always wondered... we check fluid with engine running and at temp so converter is full and fluid is in all its little places. When engine is off, fluid settles into pan. Yours, mine, everyone's settles into pan and contracts due to cooling. Why not just make the mark at the cool not running mark and make it easy?

2012 Tux Black, Loaded. Previous owner added Spray-in liner, bed cover, LED everything, AFE intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, mid-perch... other stuff I haven't found yet. Thank You whoever you are... I have added 37" Nitto tires, painted speaker grilles, Roush vacuum gauge for hubs.
whoisbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Originally Posted by whoisbigman View Post
I've always wondered... we check fluid with engine running and at temp so converter is full and fluid is in all its little places. When engine is off, fluid settles into pan. Yours, mine, everyone's settles into pan and contracts due to cooling. Why not just make the mark at the cool not running mark and make it easy?

Not running it will overflow when properly filled hot or cold

Old 07-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

Originally Posted by ogdobber View Post
Not running it will overflow when properly filled hot or cold
Absolutely true.
(Don't ask me how I know.)

Which really, really makes me wonder (again) why Ford didn't provide a conventional transmission dipstick.