Maintenance-Manual vr. What the Dealership says!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCam

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a 2012 SVT with 83K. Dealer Service dpt is telling me I need to replace the fluids in the Diffs as well as the T-Case every 60K. Torsen in the front.

The Owner's Manual clearly states that none of this has to be done till 150K.

The SVT Owner's Supplement states that "The rear Differential is filled with synthetic lubricant and is considered lubricated FOR LIFE". The Manual also states that the Transmission is not equipped with a dipstick and the fluid level should never be checked unless a problem is noticed like slipping etc...

I've looked at some threads here where guys are replacing these fluids at much shorter intervals than what even my dealer's service department recommends.

Soooo... here's my question. Has anyone ever heard of transmissions, differentials, T-cases and the like actually FAILING by following the Owner's manual? Are there any TSB's from Ford amending the Owner's manual's recommendations for service intervals?

Like Marco Rubio says, I'm all ears... :)

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought my '13 used with 152k miles, as far as I can tell the first owner read between the lines and got rid of it before it hit 150k lol! The second started the 150k service but didn't finish it, I did all of it just to make sure and none of the drivetrain has fallen out ;) My work truck is a '14 STX F150 and manual says the same thing, I'm just shy of 145k mostly highway miles and have only done rear diff because of a small leak (think I backed over a rock or something and caught the edge of the cover)...and likely will test the "for life" claim on the 6R80 transmission...zero issues. On yours I'd do the xfer case and call it good until 150k...but I also would do it myself and tell the dealer to **** off.

OP
OP
R

RCam

Reaction score
Thanks Ben.

Looks like most here are changing fluids at a frequent pace. I can understand that if you're beating the hell out of it like a race truck. The pictures of some interesting looking oil in differentials on different threads is concerning though.

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealers recommend shorter intervals to increase profits. Some people think shorter intervals are better because their simple minds can't grasp technology.

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the book says not yet, I would tell the dealer to stuff it unless you feel you have abused the truck (or previous owner did). I would make them explain why they are recommending different than the manual, and let them know you will be reaching out to Ford as well. Stealerships, hard to maintain vehicles there after the warranty is done.