Longer Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using Amsoil EAO11 filters on my 6.2L Raptor. They are shockingly small. It seems like there is plenty of room for a taller filter in the engine bay. IF you look at a cut apart EAO11 the filter media is quite a bit shorter than the can. If I got a filter 50% taller it would have almost double the filter area which should increase oil flow.

Anyone else look at how small the filter is and wonder if a bigger one would help?

Anyone have a part number that fits?

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Affirm! That's what's I was thinking.

In fact I took a second + extra looooong gander at the non ford motorcraft filter version and I'll be honest, you took the words right outta my mouth.

Way undersized, but I'm No engineer, so purely speculation from this angle.

M@

Last edited:

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
a larger filter with the same size media would have to effect on oil flow. in order to increase flow you would need a more porous filter and that would leave more crud to get through in effect filter less.

OP
OP
AZEngineer

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm an engineer and a larger filter with the same media WILL improve flow. The same way more pleats help flow in an oil or air filter. There are three ways to increase flow in an oil filter.
1) A media that flows easier but that seems to always come with lower filter effeciency (more dirt gets through)
2) More Media in the filter. That's either more pleats (more filter area) or you could do the same number of pleats and make the filter media taller.
3) A higher pressure oil pump.

TBONE21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just run the ford racing filters. Really nice oil filter

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just run the ford racing filters. Really nice oil filter

I like that filter too, but at 4x the cost of the regular FL-820S, changing my oil more regularly gives me more piece of mind than the FR filter with higher burst strength and increased filter media/flow.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm an engineer and a larger filter with the same media WILL improve flow. The same way more pleats help flow in an oil or air filter. There are three ways to increase flow in an oil filter.
1) A media that flows easier but that seems to always come with lower filter effeciency (more dirt gets through)
2) More Media in the filter. That's either more pleats (more filter area) or you could do the same number of pleats and make the filter media taller.
3) A higher pressure oil pump.
Please take this opportunity to amend or extend that statement...

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I too was surprised at the size of the 6.2L's oil filter. My 3.5L GMC Canyon used a larger filter! As long as the threads and the gasket are compatible a larger filter will work, and as long as the filter is for Ford applications it should work. I wonder if one of the factory reps who visit FRF would be willing to look into the options for us???

OP
OP
AZEngineer

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please take this opportunity to amend or extend that statement...

In a fluid dynamics problem, if you want more volume through a fixed restriction, you have to increase pressure. If you can't increase pressure and you want more volume you need either a lower restriction filter of the same area or a larger area filter of the same restriction. Since we can't increase pressure and we don't want less effective filtration, the only other option is more filter area. That means a filter with more filter paper area but with the same filtration effectiveness.