Installed the AFE Diff Cover Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
not too sure on a correct way to flush it but i drained it and make sure that the front end is higher than the rear i have ramps that are about 8" tall so i just drove up onto them this will allow the fluid to flow out easier after i let it drain for about 10 minutes i took a can of brake cleaner and sprayed out the rear diff so it reached way into the back of the gears then wipe it out as best you can let it dry and then install the cover and fill her up! you could get some cheap gear fluid and fill it up drive around the block then drain it one more time then fill it with the god stuff!

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me speculating but being that AFE makes intakes for the most part I would imagine that Mag Hytec probably builds them their rear end covers and puts the AFE name on it. I may be wrong but they sure do look similar....

Yeah, I was kinda skeptical at first. I'm not sure how this product fits into their line up or knowledge base.
not too sure on a correct way to flush it but i drained it and make sure that the front end is higher than the rear i have ramps that are about 8" tall so i just drove up onto them this will allow the fluid to flow out easier after i let it drain for about 10 minutes i took a can of brake cleaner and sprayed out the rear diff so it reached way into the back of the gears then wipe it out as best you can let it dry and then install the cover and fill her up! you could get some cheap gear fluid and fill it up drive around the block then drain it one more time then fill it with the god stuff!

I was thinking the same thing. Got my gear oil last night.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea me personally I'd stick with a company that had been making covers for a long time instead of an intake company getting into making covers. But it's just me lol

OP
OP
TargetBow

TargetBow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never thought that I would be so interested in checking the fluid level in the rear end, but ever since I put the new AFE cover on, I find myself walking to the passenger side rear tire and glancing at the fluid level in the sight glass because it is so easy to see. I really think this is a cool feature of the cover and I hope this cover holds up for the long haul with no leaks from the sight glass or any other areas.
For now, I am glad I purchased this one and only time will tell if I made a mistake going with an intake manufactures rear end cover.
For what it's worth, the cover looks to be excellently manufactured, but like any aluminum rear end cover, if you hit a lot of rocks with it when off road, I don't think it will hold up very good.

OP
OP
TargetBow

TargetBow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me at all if aFe didn't manufacture this diff cover. It happens every day in almost every industry.

It really doesn't bother me if AFE actually manufactured the diff cover or another manufacturer made it for them and just put their name on it because like you said, it happens every day in almost every industry and in my opinion the added feature of the sight glass really caught my eye.

Like I said before, the cover seems to be well made and has the sight glass which I feel is a great feature that others don't seem to have at the present time.

It may be that other manufactures don't include the sight glass feature because of possible future problems of leakage in that area but I feel it is a great feature and I am willing to take the chance on it.
If it leaks at the sight glass in the future I will address the issue with repair parts and post on the forum but till then I will enjoy the good looks and features the cover has to offer.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree completely. I used to buy Sony recordable DVDs. If the label said made in Taiwan, then they were made by some cheap company; but if the label said made in Japan, they were actually made by Taiyo Yudon (the premier manufacturer of blank DVD media). Sony simply didn't make blank DVDs, so they had them made and labeled for them.

I could care less that Sony was selling TYs with the Sony label. Nor do I care if aFe is using someone else's diff cover. The custom truck company in Denver uses both, so maybe I'll get an insight on any differences when I call them on Monday.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the sight glass leaking. It's the same type of sight glass used in helicopter transmissions. Those things will take some serious work to break or get leaking. I'm sure rocks could damage this thing but it's no worse than the OEM diff cover getting dinged up by rocks and debris.

JDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mag-hytec covers also have a threaded port for a temperature gauge. Not sure if the AFE ones have that.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

I would stay with MAg-hytec. Like stated prior, Stick with the company that specifically makes those products and those products only.