Installed the AFE Diff Cover Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TargetBow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed AFE Diff Cover Today

Hello Everyone:
Just wanted to post that I installed my new AFE Diff cover today and wanted to share a few pics of it installed.
I also wanted to post a pic of a growth I have on my ring gear which I found.
It seems to be excess metal on the ring gear but it's not hitting or interfering with anything so I let it on instead of filing it off, Thought it could be used as an oil slinger!!
Did anyone else find anything weird like this on their ring gear when taking the cover off?
The cover has a sight glass installed so you can see the oil level which I like a lot.
I added Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 Synthetic fluid to the rear diff.

Here is a pic of the metal on the ring gear that should not be there:

saepiqdzsaldxpr77esa.jpg

Pic of the cover installed:

96li70sne6dmfhc072wd.jpg

3go81f0e0dvpqi0bg6xz.jpg

Last edited:

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am in the middle of this mod also - anyone have a good pros/cons list for aFe vs. Mag? Or hell, just an opinion? My friend has the Mag Tech.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
mag tech uses a rubber O-ring to seal. what does afe use?

aFe Power's new rear differential cover brings performance engineering to the protection of your rear axle's differential. This differential cover is constructed out of durable die-cast A380 aluminum with reinforced ribs and wrinkle black powder-coating with machined fins for maximum strength and styling. This cover comes with all necessary hardware and includes an O-ring for a leak-free seal. This cover fits the 12 bolt-9.75 inch rear differential. 5 quart lube capacity: This cover has about a 5 quart lube capacity at the factory line, factory cover holds about 4 quarts. Built-in Internal/external Fins: Built-in internal and external fins transfer heat from the fluid to the outside air for maximum cooling. Magnetic drain/fill plug: This system incorporates a large magnetic drain and fill plug that captures loose particles for maximum rear-end protection. Oil Level Sight Glass: Pre-installed large oil level sight glass with calibration plug set to the factory fluid level to eliminate overfilling. When it comes to engineering for power, performance, protection and value, aFe Power is the only choice. Note: This differential cover fits 97-13 Ford Trucks with the 12 bolt-9.75 inch differential.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had my mad hytec cover for a while now and love it! At the time it was the only one out. I think it's personal preference on which one to get but I did noise the mag hytec cover is cheaper than the afe one and the only difference I see is the sight glass lol

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Yea joe pretty straight forward! But do not be surprised in what you might ind in the rear diff! My fluid was literally like chocolate milk! No large metal pieces or shavings just usual wear and year sparkle I did mine when I hit 45k ad I'm now at 67k I might check the fluid before TRR! Maybe do a flush and fill just to make sure the fluids nice an fresh for a good beating at trr