Icon Uniball HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

11bcacti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im trying to replace my uniballs in the upper control arms. I have the billet Icon units and they were on my truck when I bought it 10k miles ago. I ended up having to pull the control arms off because I couldn't get the uniballs out. I used the press here at work and the actual ball pressed out of one of the sides. It moved the race maybe 1/16" but it seems to be pretty frozen in there. The uniballs were really loose but I did not expect that. Im thinking maybe I need to try and heat them up...maybe in the oven and try again. Any ideas?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im trying to replace my uniballs in the upper control arms. I have the billet Icon units and they were on my truck when I bought it 10k miles ago. I ended up having to pull the control arms off because I couldn't get the uniballs out. I used the press here at work and the actual ball pressed out of one of the sides. It moved the race maybe 1/16" but it seems to be pretty frozen in there. The uniballs were really loose but I did not expect that. Im thinking maybe I need to try and heat them up...maybe in the oven and try again. Any ideas?
Did you remove the snap ring from the under side?

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
www.runraptorrun.com

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

I had a tough time removing the spherical bearing out of my RPG uppers. Once I got the snap ring out, I had to heat the cup with a torch and pound the bearing out.

The issue is galvanic corrosion between the carbon steel cup and the stainless steel bearing.

Once you do get it apart, clean the cup real well and coat it with some anti seize. You can put the bearing in the freezer for a few hours before you are ready too insert it.

www.runraptorrun.com

OP
OP

11bcacti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir I did. They were extremely corroded in. Apparently the truck came from New York.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes sir I did. They were extremely corroded in. Apparently the truck came from New York.
Oh shit. New York salt is one of the worst.

I would heat the cup with the press on the bearing. Hit the side of the cup with a sledge. If you can beat the top where the press is, however, I'm not sure how your press is set up. You might not be able to.

www.runraptorrun.com

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
One of my bearings was froze in my RPG uppers. 10 ton press didn't move it, even with heat from the torch. Sent it to RPG and they couldn't get it out either so they made me a deal on new UCA's.:party36:

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Always go back together with tons of anti-seize.

I just fought my King shock heims, it was a huge bitch, and I hate non anti-seized parts.

OP
OP

11bcacti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got them pressed out. Had to actually weld the ball into the race so they could be pressed out. That and the heat from the weld made it work. Crazy stuff.