GEN 1 How to perform power steering flush on a ford raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

canamds450

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there somebody that has done power steering flush on their ford raptor?

I have a 2012 ford raptor that power steering pump was gone, and i have a 2013 with long travel kit which make more stress to steering rack.
I replace my steering rack for a new one, but i did not change fluid.

Is there any video of how to perform power steering flush on a ford raptor specifically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried putting a funnel in the supply line to the pump, and the return line in a gallon jug. It literally pumped 1/2 gallon of fluid thru in about 5 seconds. Id say it's a 3 man job, and you can barely pour it in fast enough to keep up. I'd recommend changing the reservoir as there is a non-servicable screen type filter in there..

Reaction score
Why would you need to change the fluid its a closed system, not like a engine.

Top it off and move on.

D

Deleted member 12951

Google for it on youtube. Plently of video to show an easy way to do it. Basically a pump to push it through into a waste container while feeding it with new. One person pumped while another turned the wheel back and forth.

It needs to be flushed. Closed system? Okay the oil is closed too with just a cap, so we don't change that?

I replaced mine with AMSOIL ATF full synthetic

RKBA

Reaction score

Top it off and move on.

What he said!

Many of these fluid exchange or "flushes" are a total high profit scams and can do real damage to systems. Don't believe the hype

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

What he said!

Many of these fluid exchange or "flushes" are a total high profit scams and can do real damage to systems. Don't believe the hype

He had to change out his steering rack, there might be particulars depending on the damage in the fluid. Change the fluid!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

canamds450

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Top it off and move on.

Because my truck was like 8 month with steering rack disconnected waiting for a newone and some other parts for my truck.
Now i feel the steering rack with emulsion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
If it was disconnected and waiting for a new rack, then when you filled it wouldnt that have been ALL new fluid?

D

Deleted member 12951

If it was disconnected and waiting for a new rack, then when you filled it wouldnt that have been ALL new fluid?

Its a closed system so he probably drained it into a sealed container and re-used it from the sounds of it.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flushing the power steering fluid is necessary, closed system or not. Especially on a Raptor, which are plagued with power steering problems. Ford recommends transmission fluid and that has friction modifiers in it that turn to trash in the system pretty quickly. The heat cycling of the power steering system causes the viscosity of the fluid to fall over time as well. Combine lowered viscosity and trash in the system and you can wind up with a failed pump or worse, a failed rack. You should flush your power steering system at least once a year whether you "think" you need it or not. But a good way to judge the need is to simply look at and smell the fluid. If it is brown, dark brown or any color other than the transmission red and smells burnt, then you should flush it. That being said, there is a video posted below that has good instructions on how to do it yourself at home