How many miles to first brake job?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got about 23k on my 2013. I've done some towing and 'froading over the first couple of years. I think I've started to hear the brake wear sensors in the past few days. I took a peek at the front rotors today and they look a little rough. Not near as smoove as the rears. I'm curious how many miles other people have got on their truck until the first brake job.

I'm also curious what I should expect to shell out at the stealership for my first brake job.

PS I did use the search thingy before creating this thread.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you do a search?

it will depend on how much you are on the brakes. i think it will vary by driver, and by how often they tow, or carry in the bed.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
noah is right brake wear will vary greatly depending on driving styles, towing, hauling, etc....

i wouldnt bother with a stealership. its an easy job but if u do not want to take it on just go to a local reputable shop and have them do it. also talk to @Chris@FreedomMotorsports and see what he can do for u on a R1 setup. u can get some great pads and rotors from him and im sure if u decide to do the brakes yourself he can give u some pointers to help u out.

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the R1 brakes on my truck recently. I had 18,000 miles on it when I did it. The original brakes still looked brand new.
The only fault I can find with the r1 setup is that they seek until they are warm.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your R1 brakes squeak until warm. Go ahead and repeat the "bedding in" procedure to eliminate that. When installing them or sometimes for those that can be a little easier on brakes overall, that can be necessary. That being said. To the OP, I cam help with a great upgrade over stock for not much more than stock replacement parts. Send me a PM if you'd like to know more about them and would like a shipped quote.

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your R1 brakes squeak until warm. Go ahead and repeat the "bedding in" procedure to eliminate that.

I thought that one of the big benefits of going to the Posi-Quiet ceramic pads was that no bedding in procedure was required because the pads were scorched/heat treated...that was according to the R1 site. That was one of the reasons that I went with them. Are you saying that is not the case?

Last edited:

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that one of the big benefits of going to the Posi-Quiet ceramic pads was that no bedding in procedure was required because the pads were scorched/heat treated...that was according to the R1 site. That was one of the reasons that I went with them. Are you saying that is not the case?

No no no, the Posi Quiet pads are pre-scorched to avoid the need for a lengthy "break in " period. All brake pads, at first installation, should be put through a "bedding in" procedure. That "beds" the pads to the rotors properly. That needs to be done no matter what brake parts you have. The difference is, most brake pads require you to take it easy on them for a few hundred miles so that they do not glaze over. With the Posi Quiet pads, because they are pre-scorched, they will not glaze over like that with regular use. But they do indeed still need to be bedded in with the rotors to ensure you get the most out their performance right from the start.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 2010 Scab Raptor that I use to run to northern MI from VA a lot. Teh brakes never felt bad but I had 41k miles on them with 20k towing my 24tf enclosed trailer. I never did a check I just ordered EBC rotors and pads thinking that shit with 41k on these the got to be close to needing never having a Ford truck that went a lot of miles without brakes before Ill just buy em and replace em anyways.
I got ready to do teh brakes and WTF!!! They looked like new still!!! I couldnt believe it!! Never ever in my years of owning Ford truck(17 in a 30 year span) did I believe my brakes went 20k let alone 41k with towing half the time!
So, I still have a new set of pads and rotors for my 2012 when they go bad ha ha might another 40k miles before!!! lol

Also, the rears will look great over the fronts since 60-70% of your braking is in the front.