Going to do my first oil change, access everything through panel? ---

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alwayscode390

Reaction score
I am about to do my first oil change on my 2011 soon.

I see the access panel near the front of the skid plate.

Can you access the oil filter AND the engine pan drain plug through that little panel, or do you have to disassemble more stuff to get to everything?

Any other tips or tricks you want to share is well appreciated.

I see to use 7 quarts 5w20 ... I have that already.

Thanks! ---

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pop off that little panel. Should be 4 torx holding it on. I don't recall what size, 12 maybe?? You can reach up to grab your filter there.
The drain plug is behind the skid plate. No need to remove anything to get to that. Unless a 2011 is completely different than a 13.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What he said ^^^ but I always take the whole skid plate off, there is a little built in funnel/tray under the oil filter that directs the oil which comes out of the fitting so plan ahead and have your tray ready to catch that residue. Great idea from ford to put that there. The whole skid plate is light, you can balance it with your knee and arm, no need to jack the truck up either. Good luck! Easy job!

I usually drain the oil first and while that is going on, I take the skid plate off and swap out the filter.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As stated already the oil drain plug is located further back. Slide under your truck behind the front wheel under the drivers door and you can access it from there. Some remove the front skid completely to access the oil filter and if it is the least bit windy oil will get all over the backside of the skid but it is doable through the small panel.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Use a little bit of aluminum foil to extend the factory funnel/tray as well. And don't take the filter completly off in one go, let it drain out slowly, otherwise that nice little funnel is moot.

OP
OP
alwayscode390

alwayscode390

Reaction score
Great thanks guys! Sounds pretty easy.

I like the fact you don't have to jack the truck up HAHAH.

I appreciate the responses :) ---

OP
OP
alwayscode390

alwayscode390

Reaction score
Is there any oil change reset light on the dash I need to do now that the oil has been changed? Thanks again everyone! :) ---

intow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toggle through the settings on the in dash display, push the left arrow to get to the settings then scroll down, can't remember exactly which one to choose but there's several options to reset oil life to 100%, 80% etc etc.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i drop the full skid. it's 6 bolts instead of 4, easy to drop down, less mesy trying to only get it thru the little hole, and I can inspect other stuff while it's all open.

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull the whole skid plate off too...Not much more work and definitely gives you more room to work and easily clean the area around there too! It's super lightweight for the size.