Gen1 Maintenance Ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hogwash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I generally just lurk and use the classifieds but it's time to reach out for some opinions.

Bought my '11 screw a couple years ago with 46k miles, now it has 62k miles. I've done the typical mods, but nothing crazy. I've decided to keep the truck long-term (today at least).
Truck is under a third party warranty currently (which has paid off as the sunroof has had to be replaced as has the rear slider window. Twice)

What preventative and line-up type maintenance should I be looking at? Specifically engine/transmission related. Thanks in advance guys.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FLUIDS!

I did a transmission service at 47K miles. The fluid was VERY DARK, there was a dusting of metal particles over the outside of the filter, and I'm glad I did it when I did. Serviced the front and rear differentials and the transfer case about the same time. Serviced the differentials and transfer case again at 75K miles, and oddly the gear oil in the front differential had been adulterated with water. Odd because I didn't do any water crossings between the two services - just normal road driving and dirt/gravel road travel off-road. I highly recommend you change these fluids. Fluids become increasingly acidic over time.

My practice is to drain and refill the PS reservoir with every oil change. Cheap insurance.

Check the brake fluid. If it's dark, get a flush.

My temp gauge (aftermarket, not the dash) started talking to me at about 72K miles. Got a coolant flush and the gauge settled down again. You're due.

Tire rotations every 5K miles. Yes, it's a pain in the ass. But it'll even out tire wear - the rear end of a Raptor is quite a bit lighter than the front. Inspect the brake pads and rotors every time you have a tire off. Visually inspect the serpentine belt and the shocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hogwash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuilt shocks will go in when weather gets warm. Fluids will be on my list of things to get done

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FLUIDS!

I did a transmission service at 47K miles. The fluid was VERY DARK, there was a dusting of metal particles over the outside of the filter, and I'm glad I did it when I did. Serviced the front and rear differentials and the transfer case about the same time. Serviced the differentials and transfer case again at 75K miles, and oddly the gear oil in the front differential had been adulterated with water. Odd because I didn't do any water crossings between the two services - just normal road driving and dirt/gravel road travel off-road. I highly recommend you change these fluids. Fluids become increasingly acidic over time.

My practice is to drain and refill the PS reservoir with every oil change. Cheap insurance.

My temp gauge (aftermarket, not the dash) started talking to me at about 72K miles. Got a coolant flush and the gauge settled down again. You're due.

Tire rotations every 5K miles. Yes, it's a pain in the ass. But it'll even out tire wear - the rear end of a Raptor is quite a bit lighter than the front. Inspect the brake pads and rotors every time you have a tire off. Visually inspect the serpentine belt and the shocks.

Good advice on the PS reservoir... I'm going to start doing that.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FLUIDS!

I agree, all sound advice. I also drain & refill the P/S reservoir at every oil change, and clean the MAF every air filter change; both easily done and worth the effort.

Rebuilt shocks will go in when weather gets warm. Fluids will be on my list of things to get done

At 60k I think the manual only calls for transfer case oil change, but age can be a factor as well so if you are able, all the fluids and filters you can change the better. Also probably time to inspect the serpentine belt and radiator hoses just in case, balljoints and shock bushings when you have them out.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree, all sound advice. I also drain & refill the P/S reservoir at every oil change, and clean the MAF every air filter change; both easily done and worth the effort.

MAF filter? Ben, please explain.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Good advice on the PS reservoir... I'm going to start doing that.

Additional hint: I hung a powerful ring magnet on a length of SS safety wire in the PS reservoir. With the relatively frequent fluid changes (every 6K miles) it doesn't get much on it, but it's additional and very cheap insurance.