Front CV's popped out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

11bcacti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm a big idiot. I was pulling my icon front coilovers off and couldn't get the bottom of them out. I bought the truck with the suspension on it and didn't have a spanner wrench to adjust the collar up to give me more clearance. Long story short I ended up popping the CVs out. Good news-it gave me the clearance to pull the coilovers and I didn't damage the boots. Bad news- now I have my suspension back and I'm not sure how to pop them back in. I've been researching and it looks like it just has a locking collar that it needs to be popped back into. Advice? Suggestions? I have a knack for breaking shit so I thought I would ask the experts.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did it pop out of the differential? if so just pop it back in. there is a split ring around the shaft that will snap in place. if it popped out of the boot. you will most likely have to take the axle out and pull the boot back to get the shaft back in place, then reclamp the boot.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Well I'm a big idiot. I was pulling my icon front coilovers off and couldn't get the bottom of them out. I bought the truck with the suspension on it and didn't have a spanner wrench to adjust the collar up to give me more clearance. Long story short I ended up popping the CVs out. Good news-it gave me the clearance to pull the coilovers and I didn't damage the boots. Bad news- now I have my suspension back and I'm not sure how to pop them back in. I've been researching and it looks like it just has a locking collar that it needs to be popped back into. Advice? Suggestions? I have a knack for breaking shit so I thought I would ask the experts.

Atleast you realized that it had come apart in the boot. I didn't catch that when working on mine and destroyed the CV first time I put it in 4WD.

OP
OP

11bcacti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it pop out of the differential? if so just pop it back in. there is a split ring around the shaft that will snap in place. if it popped out of the boot. you will most likely have to take the axle out and pull the boot back to get the shaft back in place, then reclamp the boot.

Yea its still in the boot. Thanks for confirming, I'll go work on it now and report with how it goes

OP
OP

11bcacti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the axle as straight as possible and I still can't get it to pop in. Been using a dead blow and a small sledge with a wood block.

Attachments

• IMG_20160512_150900147.jpg
    IMG_20160512_150900147.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 73

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No don't do that. the axle has pulled out of the inner cv. you will have to remove the axle and pull the boot. and realign it and then reattach the boot

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

You can buy the clamp at most any auto parts store. or take the axle to a reputable shop and they can reclamp it

OP
OP

11bcacti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok that makes sense. I guess I have them either partially in or just bound up inside the boot. I gave the passenger side a good tug and the whole axle assembly popped off of the splines coming out of the diff. And I just found a small tear in the driver's side outboard boot. Fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_20160512_160206794.jpg
    IMG_20160512_160206794.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 56

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok that makes sense. I guess I have them either partially in or just bound up inside the boot. I gave the passenger side a good tug and the whole axle assembly popped off of the splines coming out of the diff. And I just found a small tear in the driver's side outboard boot. Fantastic.

Yea I did the same thing while changing my upper control arms. Took the axle out and disassembled it, easy job just messy. If it were me I would go ahead and replace the boots. Then you get the boot and 2 clamps, and the grease. 2 boots per axle.