Fox Stock Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigWurmHerm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has probably been asked time and time again but I could not find a close enough answer. I've looked high and low on the forums and didn't find what I was looking for. So,my question is: how long were the stock fox shocks built to last? I've heard of some people getting ~45k miles on them with little to no off-roading and I've heard other get ~55k with a lot of off-roading. I really don't want to have to replace/rebuild them this early on into its life.

Little background on my truck. It has 32k miles and the previous owner never took it off-road. 90% highway miles. Pretty much a garage Queen. I don't plan on jumping the truck, just plan to take it on the back roads and through some muddy trails. Any input would be awesome. Thanks.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was told by a pro that if you can grab the bumper and shake the truck and it feels like a boat on water, then they need to be rebuilt. Also if the truck starts to ride weird, or your shocks leak. The mileage varies greatly. Mine are at 37k and still ride great, and it's seen some offroad.

OP
OP
B

BigWurmHerm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ride right now seems to be pretty smooth. Hitting the back roads almost feels like driving on the street. Really just wondering when I should expect to think about replacing.

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the Fox website stated something like ~ 50K miles for regular/street queen usage before a rebuild or whatever...

Also, if you use the search feature on the msg board (ie - enter something like "shock rebuild") you'll find plenty of past threads as well as the thread on here where fellow owners are rebuilding the factory shocks for those in need of such service. :)

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
FWIW, I took my stock shocks off with 18K miles and one of the rears had no pressure in it. From what I understand this isn't all that uncommon with the stock foxes.

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told by a pro that if you can grab the bumper and shake the truck and it feels like a boat on water, then they need to be rebuilt. Also if the truck starts to ride weird, or your shocks leak. The mileage varies greatly. Mine are at 37k and still ride great, and it's seen some offroad.

What do you mean by "boat on the water"

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I put over 80000 miles on my original shocks before I replaced them, lots of hard off-roading and dune jumping for 5 years , it wasn't until they were off that I seen where they were leaking, but they were still usable. Seems I recall they were suppose to be good for 100,000 miles until everybody got on the band wagon and said they need to be rebuilt after 30k - 50k - 80k- ? Depends which shop or vender you ask.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your shocks are fine until you notice a change in the way they handle. This is tough though, as it is a gradual decline in performance that you may just get used to. The best way to tell when your shocks are ready is a noticeable leak and/or low nitrogen pressure. Leaks are fairly easy to spot, but you will need to find someone that has access to a way to check the pressures or buy the gauges yourself. Even then, they may just need to be recharged and be fine......

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your shocks are fine until you notice a change in the way they handle. This is tough though, as it is a gradual decline in performance that you may just get used to. The best way to tell when your shocks are ready is a noticeable leak and/or low nitrogen pressure. Leaks are fairly easy to spot, but you will need to find someone that has access to a way to check the pressures or buy the gauges yourself. Even then, they may just need to be recharged and be fine......

Happen to know the proper pressure off-hand? Be handy to have in this thread. I do have a guy with a nitro setup. If not, I'll do some searching.