Fluid change intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When it is recommended to change the transmission, diff and transfer case fluids? What's the interval? I'm at 53k miles and wondering if I need to do it soon.

Thanks.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Technically the transmission is for the life of the vehicle. But many change it out between 50k to 100k miles. You can do it yourself and there are a few threads on how to accomplish it. However, it's probably easier to let your dealer do it. They hook it to a machine and flush the system and add new at the end.

The transfer case and rear diff I would change based on your FRF screen name. Lol... anytime you go through water some gets in there. Practically with lots of off-road mud encounters I would do it once a year.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah. Sounds About right.
For the rear diff, they don't remove the cover. They suck it out through the fill port.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking of having the Mag-Hytec cover put on while they are in there.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

Question. Do the front/rear diffs have or require synthetic fluid?

D

Deleted member 12951

I am at 20k miles and at my next oil change, I am getting both diffs changed. I've been though some mud to say the least. Had no idea it would be around $350, good to know.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am at 20k miles and at my next oil change, I am getting both diffs changed. I've been though some mud to say the least. Had no idea it would be around $350, good to know.

Rick - you should get with Jimbo. I'm thinking he changed one of his diffs or his trans recently and it was pretty cloudy/milky after TRR. He was one of the trucks stuck out on the course when it rained real hard and dumped a bunch of water on the course......

Waiting too long may not be a good move.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434058526.034633.jpg

I prefer milkshakes for my diff fluid but to each their own.
@DrippinRaptor I can get you some prices and recommendations on Amsoil fluids and a higher capacity rear diff cover if you would like to send me a PM. The diffs and transfer case are easy to do on your own and you would spend a lot less on quality fluids.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

Last edited:

BANE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a Ford sr master and we charge $350 for both, so you are spot on there

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I haven't been in water/mud so I'm going to wait on the diffs and TC until 40k. But I am going to flush the power steering next week when I install the ICON PS res/cooler kit.

I've read enough that people see dirty PS fluid with just 20k on their Raptors.