Floor jack discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I used 4x4 scrap before on my last truck. It had a 7" lift. It just never left me with a good feeling. Especially as I lift the trick I can see the moisture squeezing out of the wood

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the Harbor Freight 2 ton low profile and their 6 ton jack stands. The jack lifts 23-3/4" and the higher load stands are taller. You won't find a floor jack that lifts much higher. This is their best jack if you read the reviews. Has a t-handle, foot pump and quick release knob as well.

http://m.harborfreight.com/automoti...profile-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68050.html

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
I've got 2 Crapsman Jacks from Sears that I've been using for almost 10 years, on all my trucks I stack 3 2x4's on top every time I lift a truck and haven't .had a single scare of the truck coming down on me. If you X them you'll be just fine

For the individual who mentioned a bottle jack, spend a few dollars get rid of that thing

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tried that. 2x4s are iffy at best. I use a 5 ton and a 6 ton (front and rear to rotate tires) and put 2x8s under them. It's way safer.

I'm a little curious on your process for rotating tires. If you're not using the spare, you have to get two diagonal wheels off the ground at the same time correct?

How is that safely accomplished?

Hate letting other folks rotate my tires, but without a lift, I'm not sure how to safely do it. I'm considering picking up a cheap tire/wheel and using it so I don't have to get two wheels off the ground at the same time. Really don't want to mess with dropping the spare every time I want to rotate.

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get it up on 4 jack stands. The Harbor Freight 6 ton are high enough.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm a little curious on your process for rotating tires. If you're not using the spare, you have to get two diagonal wheels off the ground at the same time correct?

Hate letting other folks rotate my tires, but without a lift, I'm not sure how to safely do it. I'm considering picking up a cheap tire/wheel and using it so I don't have to get two wheels off the ground at the same time. Really don't want to mess with dropping the spare every time I want to rotate.

I jack the rear from the pumpkin, then put a 6 ton jack stand under each side of the axle. Remove the rear tires. Take the jack and jack up 1 front corner by the A-arm (toss a 3 ton jack stand under the frame rail just as safety), then I put that front corner on the rear, and one of the rears on that front corner. Then do the other front the same way.

Just buy a couple jack stands rather than another entire giant wheel/tire combo that you have to store, and that is useless for anything else besides rotating tires on your raptor, and more work bolting/unbolting it just to rotate.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I rotate only front to back and do not use the spare. I put the lumber UNDER the wheels of the jacks, and jack both front and rear on the same side of the truck at the same time. Once both tires are off the ground, I use heavy duty jack stands for safety - with half of a 6,000 pound truck off the ground, a jack failure would be catastrophic.

BTW, the owner's manual says to never jack at the differential. It's unsafe to do that. You need one tire on the ground with the parking brake locked even if you are using tire chocks (which I do).