driveshaft change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mobob

Reaction score
I thought I read Ford changed the hardness of the spline surface to avoid the wear, which led to clunk . More lube just made it less noticeable in the early stages of the wear cycle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had the JDM for about 7000 miles now (which for me is about a year of driving the truck, and 4 events).

It has a hell of a clunk. I would pull the shaft about every 1000 miles and hit it with Royal Purple. It would work for about 200 miles or so then it would come back.

after TRR I finally gave up and yanked it and am running the stock once again. Anybody in Dallas want to buy it, $400 and it's yours....

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had the JDM for about 7000 miles now (which for me is about a year of driving the truck, and 4 events).

It has a hell of a clunk. I would pull the shaft about every 1000 miles and hit it with Royal Purple. It would work for about 200 miles or so then it would come back.

after TRR I finally gave up and yanked it and am running the stock once again. Anybody in Dallas want to buy it, $400 and it's yours....
Does the clunk affect the function of the drive shaft? Or is it just annoying?

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )

Post a pic ofyour Raptor here:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=1003701
♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

Vote for a pic here: vvvvvvvvvvvv
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f18/may-not-contest-48539/

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Didn't affect my performance it was just annoying as hell. sometimes it would clunk off the line, sometimes in the shift 1-2. it is a big clunk, and you'd get to anticipating it and cringe before it happened.

The shaft that JDM makes is very pretty looking, but I would advise against anyone else buying one, if they have the same experience as me.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Well after 8 hours at my local ford of the mechanics wanting to try everything but the grease, they finally put in Ford Teflon Blue grease, and what do you know, no clunk. She runs fine now.

see you back here in about 200 miles....

OP
OP
S

SVTblackraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't affect my performance it was just annoying as hell. sometimes it would clunk off the line, sometimes in the shift 1-2. it is a big clunk, and you'd get to anticipating it and cringe before it happened.

The shaft that JDM makes is very pretty looking, but I would advise against anyone else buying one, if they have the same experience as me.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

see you back here in about 200 miles....

Hopefully not, :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Does the clunk affect the function of the drive shaft? Or is it just annoying?

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)
( * Y * )

Post a pic ofyour Raptor here:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=1003701
♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

Vote for a pic here: vvvvvvvvvvvv
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f18/may-not-contest-48539/

Mine started wearing down to a very fine metal particles, not bad because I caught it earlier.

OP
OP
S

SVTblackraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has done it one time since "fixed" and then I tried to make it do it for about 10 minuted after and nothing.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well after 8 hours at my local ford of the mechanics wanting to try everything but the grease, they finally put in Ford Teflon Blue grease, and what do you know, no clunk. She runs fine now.

I used regular grease and it lasted for 300 miles. How many miles have you put on with the 'Ford Teflon Blue Grease'? I thought they actually coated the splines which hopefully lasts longer that just repeatedly greasing the splines. At 147,000 miles, the clunk sounds and feels like the rear of the truck has dropped off!

This is my only complaint to the finest truck mankind has ever designed and manufactured!

OP
OP
S

SVTblackraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used regular grease and it lasted for 300 miles. How many miles have you put on with the 'Ford Teflon Blue Grease'? I thought they actually coated the splines which hopefully lasts longer that just repeatedly greasing the splines. At 147,000 miles, the clunk sounds and feels like the rear of the truck has dropped off!

This is my only complaint to the finest truck mankind has ever designed and manufactured!

I have put about 60 miles on it as of now, the noise when it actually makes it now is way more muted. And it only did it twice today even after trying and listening for it. I don't know if that means the grease is being worked in since it went from everytime to almost nonexistent. Has anyone else used the ford teflon grease? It seems to be working just not everytime.