DIY Maintenance Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did my first oil change. Thank you guys for the help. One thing about changing the oil filter first time its a PITA!!!! :) also notice a little improvement on the gas mileage after the oil change.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I added JTRATX's DIY front & rear diff, t-case, and soon to be tranny fluid change to the OP.

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any updates that you guys can add? I'm always looking for DIY maintenance jobs I can do for my truck.

bwaa

Reaction score
really helpful thread. i find it better to have it all listed out rather than going back in a video.thanks

Off Road WannaBe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You forgot to add that after you start the truck to let it run for 5 - 10mins and seeing no leaks after you shut it off let it sit for 5mins then recheck the dip stick one Last time cause the level can change a bit filling the oil filter and and other parts of the engine then just top off as nessecary...and your done

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write-up! On #9 above, most filters are spec's to hand tighten plus 3/4 - one full turn additional with your filter wrench. It's usually printed on the box or right on the filter itself. I believe Mobil 1 is 3/4 turn.

Now, as long as you get it on there pretty good with your hand then it's not going to matter but the spec is the spec. I think they say that because there are some limp wrist ******* out there that wouldn't be able to tighten it enough by hand, lol.

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
DIY Air Filter Change

I'm at 15,000 miles and decided to take a look at my air filter. Damn it was dirty!
IMAG0378.png

Things you'll need:
1. Air Filter Replacement: OEM Motorcraft FA-1883
IMAG0375.png
2. Flat head screwdriver

Procedure:
IMAG0379.png
1. Loosen the flat head screw show above with a green arrow pointing to it. Make sure you loosen it almost all the way, but do not remove the clamp.
2. Unclip the 3 tabs holding the air filter cover. 2 of the 3 tabs are shown above with a yellow arrow pointing to them. The 3rd and final tab is behind the ********* pipe.
3. You will now need to disconnect the connector to the mass air flow sensor. The connector is shown by the red arrow. To disconnect this, you will need to pull on the red tab beneath the connector. Do not pull too hard as this tab seems fragile. The red tab does not come off! It only "unlocks" and "locks." The red tab is shown below.
IMAG0382.png
4. Now you are ready to remove the air filter cover. It takes some wiggling to get it off. You will need to pry it from the passenger side first since the tabs on the driver's side are angled upwards.
5. Remove old filter and replace with new. Be aware that the filter is not a perfect square so make sure you orient the new filter properly!
6. Place the air filter cover back into its proper spot. This could be difficult to do because of the driver's side tabs. I prefer to disconnect the rubber hose that is connected to the cover in order to angle the cover properly so that it will fit under the driver's side tabs.
7. Reconnect the mass air flow sensor connector, and be sure to "lock" the red tab by depressing the red tab.
8. Tighten the flat head screw that clamps the rubber hose to the air filter cover.

Hope this was helpful!

Last edited:

kscarguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After i did the oil change how do you rest the indicator. The area on the dashboard were it tells you the oil%